8 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2011 5:18 PM by alc

Setting Up Filemaker Go to see database over 3G

Charlie999

Title

Setting Up Filemaker Go to see database over 3G

Hi,

If this is in here then i'm sory but could not find it.

Could someone please give me an idiots guide to setting up Filemaker Go to access my Database from Filemaker Pro over the 3G network.  The following is my set up.

1. Using BT Home Hub 2 I think.
      2. iMac on home network running Filemaker Pro with database running.  Filemaker Go on iPhone.
      3. From the File>Sharing>Filemaker Network menu I've enabled this and the selected the file and enabled All Users.

This allows me to fully interact with the database on Filemaker GO over wifi same network but when you look at the Host Address its iMac.local.

When I switch to 3G on iPhone it wont find the database.

I then configured a Host giving the address that I got from step 2 which was in the form ???>???>?>??;££.£££. ££.£; where the ?'s look like my home network address.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Setting Up Filemaker Go to see database over 3G
          TSGal

Charlie999:

Thank you for your post.

Is your home network available to the internet?  If not, then you won't be able to access the file via 3g.

Please review Knowledge Base Article #7768 (Can't connect to a hosted database with FileMaker Go on 3G):

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7768

You may also want to review Knowledge Base Article #7840 (Cannot see or connect to a FileMaker hosted file on a remote network):

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7840

If you have trouble with any of the steps in either article, please let me know, as this will help narrow the possible causes.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Setting Up Filemaker Go to see database over 3G
            Charlie999

Thanks for the post.

My network is a home network and is connected to the internet.  I can access my home computer from outside the network on other applications like "Back to MY Mac" so I now some things can work.

Ive looked at the links you have sent and both talk aboy port forwarding 5003.  I have a home hub and have now enabled ports 5002 to 5004 to my iMac.  The only niggle I have with that is that Protocol on offer was TCP or UDP so i selected ANY!

One thing I have doubts on is the setting I need to enable.  On the iPhone in Host Settings in what format should you enter the IP address?

The other thing is what settings need to be enabled on Filemaker?  There are 3 links on the sharing menu - Filemaker Network - Instant Web Publishing & ODBC/JDBC? I have enabled Filemaker Network and can see my files on the local network.

• 3. Re: Setting Up Filemaker Go to see database over 3G
              TSGal

Charlie999:

Thank you for the additional information.

First, Back to My Mac requires MobileMe account, and this works via Bonjour; not 3g.

One test is to have other FileMaker Pro users outside the local network try to access your shared files.  Does this work?  If not, double-check the IP Address.  If it starts with 192.168.xxx.xxxx, then that is a local IP Address.  Instead, point a browser to www.whatismyip.com for the internet IP Address.

For the file, you only need to turn on FileMaker Network and set access to all users.  You can ignore the other settings.  The Instant Web Publishing option is for hosting your file on the internet via a browser.  ODBC/JDBC allows other applications to send SQL statements or Java scripts and reference FileMaker data.

Assuming your general network settings allow access, you should now go into FileMaker Go, make sure the IP Address is correct for the Mac.  They should be entered exactly as they appear.  For example, xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

At this point, you should be able to launch FileMaker Go, tap the host with that IP Address, select the desired shared file and open it.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Setting Up Filemaker Go to see database over 3G
                Charlie999

Hi

I dont have anyone who has Filemaker Pro other than me so to test I have installed it on my MacBook and on my network I can share my file but when I connect the MacBook to the internet via tethering on my iPhone I am not able to see the shared databases on my iMac.

I have eneterd my IP address in the way you mention and still nothing.  Its like this 86.145.XX.XXX

My network is obviously stopping access.  I think i have allowed port 5003 an asked my Home Hum to allow my iMac to use it.

Any more suggestions?

• 5. Re: Setting Up Filemaker Go to see database over 3G
                  Charlie999

Hi

Ive been looking at the Home Hub settings for enabling port 5003 they are as follows:

Port Range

5003 5003

Translate to

5003 5003

Trigger Port

5003 5003

Does this mean anything to anyone?

• 6. Re: Setting Up Filemaker Go to see database over 3G
                    TSGal

Charlie999:

Thanks for the additional information.

Please check your Inbox at the top of this page for additional instructions.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Setting Up Filemaker Go to see database over 3G
                      Charlie999
                      I've managed to sort this out now. The problem was with the port forwarding on my router. I deleted my settings and started again setting Port Range to 5002 5004 and then left the rest blank. The router put the same details in the Translate To and left the Trigger Port box blank when I applied it. Then all worked fine over 3G! Brilliant. Thanks for everyones help.
                      • 8. Re: Setting Up Filemaker Go to see database over 3G
                        alc

v4.30.7

Port Fowarding

So given the image above, I would set "Start to 5002 and "End" to 5004? (then click enable)?

When using a 3G (remote) connection - do I still access the same way as local Wi-fi but use Publc IP

Would I need to do anything else other than open the database in FMP (with FMNet enabled)

For example do I need to enable File Sharing?

Would I need to allow Web Access or Remote Router Access int the following Screen shot?

Router Access

Sorry, about the DUMB questions, but have never needed to access FMP except via LAN and local wifi

-xandra