1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2014 12:06 PM by appt

Single page web apps using Filemaker Go

macrolide

Title

Single page web apps using Filemaker Go

Originally posted in FMPro forum, I think FM Go forum is the right place to post this question.

Correct me if I am wrong:

With Filemaker Webviewer rendering interface using HTML5, CSS3 and Javascript, its easy to make single page web apps in Filemaker and the URI scheme allows the apps to interact with the database.

Is it possible to sell such an app on the Apple app store for people using only the Filemaker Go platform? Shouldn't it be easier for FMP developers to sell these apps than the ones made by frameworks like phone gap? With the advent of big-data, and many industries adopting no-sql databases, if the Apple Subsidiary : FileMaker Inc allowed such a feature to create apps using Filemaker and sell them on App store, developers could still keep Filemaker development active despite the onslaught of such technologies?

Without going through the app store, how can I lock down the app usage to a single user for a specific device so the user cannot copy the FMP database to another device and use the same unlock password?

Any suggestions or directions please. 

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Single page web apps using Filemaker Go
          AppGuy

FileMaker does not allow for things like In-App Purchases...

The other thing to  consider is people have to have FM Go Already downloaded otherwise your solution will not work.

All the folks I know that sell FM Go Solutions sell them on their websites.  This is the only way at this point.

FYI- You can't prevent a user from copying the database.  You can do this at any time through iTunes.

There are solutions out there that you can use to use I license to activate your solution.

JP

• 2. Re: Single page web apps using Filemaker Go
            rgordon

"Without going through the app store, how can I lock down the app usage to a single user for a specific device so the user cannot copy the FMP database to another device and use the same unlock password?"

I'm going to cover this issue in my session that I'm giving at Devcon.  You can not stop somebody from copying the file but you can make it very difficult to use the file by using a registration number that is based on the PersistentID.  The PersistentID is a unique number that is created when Filemaker Go is installed on an iPad or iphone. BTW, I believe if you reinstall FileMaker Go the PersistentID will change.

• 3. Re: Single page web apps using Filemaker Go
              AppGuy

according to this documentation if you reinstall you will have the same ID... It is unique for each device...

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12074/~/behavior-differences-of-get-(persistentid)-and-get-(systemnicaddress)-when-used

• 4. Re: Single page web apps using Filemaker Go
                rgordon

This from the document you quoted

The identifierForVendor property returns an alphanumeric string that uniquely identifies an iOS device to applications created by FileMaker, Inc.  In other words, all FileMaker, Inc. applications that you have installed on a single iOS device will return the same value from the identifierForVendor property.  The value of the identifierForVendor property remains the same while at least one application from FileMaker, Inc. is installed on your iOS device.  The value returned from identifierForVendor will change if all FileMaker, Inc. applications (and versions of those applications) are uninstalled from an iOS device and later one or more of them are reinstalled.

If you uninstall FileMaker Go and reinstall FileMake Go you will get a different PersistentID since it is based on the identifierForVendor number.

• 5. Re: Single page web apps using Filemaker Go
                  AppGuy

Thanks Gordon...  I misread it... only if you do a restore do you get the same ID then...??

• 6. Re: Single page web apps using Filemaker Go
                    rgordon

I believe that is correct is since a restore is coming from a back up of the original installation and a reinstall is a new installation coming from the itunes store.

• 7. Re: Single page web apps using Filemaker Go
                      macrolide

Thanks Guys for the replies.

@JP;

There are solutions out there that you can use to use I license to activate your solution.

Could you specify what solutions can be used to license custom filemaker solutions?

@rgordon
                           Wished there was a way to watch a recording of your session at the DevCon.

Physically attending a conference is way too expensive for people like us.

• 8. Re: Single page web apps using Filemaker Go
                        AppGuy

You have:

http://www.nightwing.com.au/FileMaker/KeyCodeMaker/

http://www.troi.com/software/encryptordetails.html

http://www.briandunning.com/easy-encryption/

This is just info... http://hbase.net/2014/04/10/exploring-the-new-file-level-encryption-feature-in-filemaker-pro-13/

There are probably more, it has been awhile since I did more research..   All you would have to to is have your License.fmp12 file separate.. have the algorithm/code in that file..  then have a script in your solution that calls the license file to check and see if the key is valid.  

There are other ways to do this now as well.. you could also use a URL and require internet to activate, then insert the confirmation code back to the database..

• 9. Re: Single page web apps using Filemaker Go
                          appt

I tried the persistentID trick a while back as a way of locking down solutions in a school. Once the teacher opened the solution the ID was stored and they could then not pass the file on to anyone else. Worked great. Until they updated to ios 7 then it all fell over. Now we have a terms and condition page that people are forced to sign on first use and also tailor each design with school logo and teacher name making it less attractive to pass on. Not a perfect solution by any means. 

• 10. Re: Single page web apps using Filemaker Go
                            philmodjunk

then it all fell over.

Can you expand on this? I'm aware that re-installing FM GO results in new Persistent ID result, but it seems to me that while a major pain that we did not originally have to deal with, it looks like a manageable issue from my perspective as re-installing FM GO isn't something a person is likely to do very often if at all.

I'm curious to know what other land mines you have have encountered with that approach for the benefit of others considering taking this particular plunge...

• 11. Re: Single page web apps using Filemaker Go
                              appt

I can't remember the code (it will be in an old file somewhere) but it simply stored the persistentID the first time anyone other than the admin account opened the solution. On startup it compared the persistentID against the stored one. If you emailed the file to some other ipad or grabbed it through iTunes it would put up a custom dialog indicating that the software was not registered to that device. Worked a treat, but when the teachers updated to ios7 it locked them out of their own software. I assume the persistent ID changed with the update. I had sort of prempted it by building in a reset option that was controlled by a password I could send people but that sort of defeated the point and in the end I gave up on it as a reliable method of protection. It was too frustrating for users and too time consuming for me to fix.  

As I say I now enter the user's name on each solution and give no ability to change that. In addition for some solutions the layouts have the school name and logo on every page which makes it less 'shareable. Schools and teachers are pretty law abiding. 

• 12. Re: Single page web apps using Filemaker Go
                                appt

I would post a link to our website but I'm not sure if the forum rules allow that?

• 13. Re: Single page web apps using Filemaker Go
                                  TSGal

Andy Evans:

It's okay to post a link to your website as long as you aren't advertising nor displaying confidential information.

iOS 7 did indeed change the Persistent ID.  For more information about PersistentID and SystemNICAddress, see Knowledge Base Article #12074:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12074

TSGal
                                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: Single page web apps using Filemaker Go
                                    appt

Well, it's a website that we have set up for our very small business so I guess that would not be allowed.

1 2 Previous Next