2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2013 2:01 AM by NathanVeitch

Slow connection between FMGo 12 and FM Server 12 when working remotely

NathanVeitch

Title

Slow connection between FMGo 12 and FM Server 12 when working remotely

Hi There,

I have just completed a clients program to run off his iPad and connect to his FM Server. I was able to get it all working but the solution is extremely slow. When connected to the network the speed is fine, it's only when I connect remotely that the program gives errors. Could bad scripting or maybe value lists down the chain cause this. I have checked network speeds and those seem to be ok.

When I am running the program, it all works fine until it gets to a field that requires a selection from a value list. Then it pops up saying something about records. I am going to go over my program again to see if I can spot the culprit but i just want to see if I could get some info here so as to narrow down where I could be going wrong.

Also if a value list is generated from a table that is about 3 hops down in the relationship graph from the table that is calling the value list, would that also have a major effect on performance?

• 1. Re: Slow connection between FMGo 12 and FM Server 12 when working remotely
          TSGal

Nathan Veitch:

Thank you for your post.

What are the exact error messages that are being displayed?  This will help focus on the issue.

Connecting remotely will be slower than if the files were local, as data needs to be transferred back and forth across the network.

If your pop-up list is based on values from another table, then the first instance of that pop-up may take a brief time to read in all the values, so the number of values can be a factor.  Once the values are cached, subsequent access to the pop-up menu field will be quicker.  This would also apply for values generated from a table "3 hops down in the relationship graph".

Also keep in mind that the processor and chip speed under iOS is much slower than on a Mac or Windows machine.

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Slow connection between FMGo 12 and FM Server 12 when working remotely
            NathanVeitch

Hi TSGal,

Hi there, 

Thanx for the adivce. I was thinking about GoZync, but hadn't fully explored the option yet. My solution was originally made to run off the iPad only, then the client wanted to up date his SQL Server with the data, so I suggested using the remote option off the iPad, as I had yet to set one of those up and was keen to see how it works in the real world. Well as you have guessed, it didn't quiet work out as planned 

I think I am going to need to go back a few steps in my design and make everything run off the iPad and then just sync back to the main file when they get back to the office. Updating the SQL Server can be done during the day and thankfully doesn't need to be immediate, but the order forms do need to be done quickly and thankfully those can be emailed to the clients. 

Thanx again for the advice.