14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2010 5:49 PM by WinstonChurchill

Slow Response on touch

NelsonSantosNSR

Title

Slow Response on touch

Has everyone noticed a slow response for certain buttons on Filemaker Go?  I experienced on some buttons in the iPhone and the iPad, where it takes various touches to respond.  I am certain that this could happen if the object is not in the front, but that's not the case.

Is there a work around or is this just a bug in FileMaker Go?

Thanks,

Nelson

PalmPC Solutions

• 1. Re: Slow Response on touch
          TSGal

Nelson Santos NSR:

Thank you for your post.

Can you tell me more about the button?  For example, the button is attached to a field object, or the button is comprised of a rectangle and text grouped as an object?  Any conditional formatting?  Are you noticing it more on the iPhone than iPad (due to processing speed)?  This will help me try to replicate the problem.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Slow Response on touch
            NelsonSantosNSR

Actually, it happens when the button was created by a group of objects.  For example, a small button with an image group to it.

Also, it does happens more in the iTouch / iPhone, because the small window compared to the iPad.

Thanks,

Nelson

• 3. Re: Slow Response on touch
              WinstonChurchill

I have also seen this, I haven't noticed a particular type of button that does this, they all seem to. The button will highlight acknowledging that it's been touched, but nothing happens. Touch it again and it works, sometimes it might need touching a third time.

Touching for longer seems to help, but bigger buttons seem to help more than anything, although occasionally big buttons don't work first touch too.

• 4. Re: Slow Response on touch
                TSGal

Nelson Santos NSR:

Thank you for the additional information.

The screen size on the iPhone/iPod touch is not the issue; it is the processing speed compared to the iPad.

Do you notice simple buttons (rectangle assigned as a button) functioning quicker?

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Slow Response on touch
                  NelsonSantosNSR

TSGal:

That is probably true, that simple buttons are faster.  Do you recommend using simple buttons instead of regular buttons?  As a mobile developer for over 10 years, is very clear that mobile devices behave different from regular computers.

Nelson

PalmPC Solutions, Corp.

• 6. Re: Slow Response on touch
                    tcmeyers

I have noticed this, but thought that it was a button size issue. I don't think I see it on larger buttons, ones that you can't possibly slide off of. I had thought that perhaps the button was initially activated (highlighted) but then as the finger smooshed wider, it then became interpreted by iOS as a slide-off, unhighlighting the button, similar to what happens on a desktop if you click and hold down on a button with the mouse, then drag off. That button isn't activated.

Additionally, in FMGo, you can poorly touch a button on a different record in a list view, and that record won't even become the active one.

On the theory that it's button size and bad aim on the user's part, I've enlarged most of our buttons (such as, instead of scripting a button for a checkbox object, put a much larger rectangle behind it to do the script) and for all the large ones I don't believe I see the problem any more.

-Troy

• 7. Re: Slow Response on touch
                      TSGal

Nelson Santos NSR:

Thanks for testing this out.  Most of my buttons are either attached to a field or to a rectangle grouped with Text, and I don't notice much difference.  My question was mainly trying to gather more information to see what could be a contributing factor.  A customer sent me a file with a background image that affected fields formatted as a Checkbox, and this was very slow.  Therefore, do you have any background images behind the button?

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Slow Response on touch
                        MichaelManousos

TSGal,

my optimized for ipad database has in every layout a background image (small size optimized) could this be the reason for the problem that sometimes some buttons (simple text objects) dont always do the script attached? Troy Meyers from above describes very well the problem

• 9. Re: Slow Response on touch
                          TSGal

Michael Manousos:

Thank you for your post.

The background image might be a problem.  Duplicate the layout and remove the background image from the duplicated layout.  Now, move it to FileMaker Go (either as a guest or download through iTunes) and compare the two different layouts.  See if there is a noticeable difference.

TSGal
                          FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Slow Response on touch
                            MichaelManousos

TSGal,

i did a quick test duplicating tha layout and the funny thing is that i didnt notice the problem on either layout!!! maybe is because i also made bigger the buttons.... but the problem also occurs when i use portal field as a button and the worst is with radio button set i must choose many times to pick a choice.... (i tried with and without the background) and finally if it is a bug the "slow" response in buttons you should get it fixed because someone woulde press twice the button or more and maybe a script will run 2 or more times and of course we dont want that...

• 11. Re: Slow Response on touch
                              TSGal

Michael Manousos:

Thanks for testing this out with your layout.

Our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments are aware of slow performance of Checkbox fields as reported at:

Filemaker Go checkbox  slow and sync

I have attached Radio Buttons to this case since it would definitely be related.  The file sent in with the above link also had a background image which made the checkbox respond even slower.

If you notice any other behavior that is out of the ordinary or causes slow performance, please let me know so I can make sure it gets reported to the proper departments.

TSGal
                              FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: Slow Response on touch
                                MichaelManousos
                                Ok thanx, I read the other post I hope you will fix it soon because i think some ipads with online questionnaires are great for our meetings but the slow response destroys the smooth touch feeling anyway I believe filemaker go is the best addition to filemaker (i made some dbs with fmtouch but it had very limited options) filemaker go is really really good for first version if you belive it would help to send my database tell me (although its in greek....) and a final question can we participate in a fm go beta testing program? I am also registered to apple for the iphone
                                • 13. Re: Slow Response on touch
                                  TSGal

Michael Manousos:

Sending in your file is not necessary.  The example we have from the original user demonstrates the problem perfectly (or imperfectly depending how you look at it).

At this time, there is no testing program for FileMaker Go.  If one becomes available and the Product Manager asks me for names, I will contact you.

TGal
                                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: Slow Response on touch
                                    WinstonChurchill

Michael Manousos:

Michael, I haven't been around here long enough to know how people here take that sort of thing, but if you're registered to test anything for Apple you will have had to sign an NDA which forbids you even mentioning it. I know everyone doesn't always read what they agree to, but you might want to take a look at what you can and can't do, it may affect future eligibility for such programs.