3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2013 9:37 PM by philmodjunk

Solution Fails Every Way You Turn !

alanfair

Title

Solution Fails Every Way You Turn !

OK, I will start by saying I am still new to filemaker, and it may be my lack ok knowledge, but i find i am banging my head against the wall, and hit issues every way I turn. So here is the story.

I am writing a simple inspection program for the ipad.  It generates a report that can be emailled.

I of course develop this on PC, with compatibility set to iOS.  The report is generated using the "save records as PDF" script step, i generate two reports and append the second on too the first, and then output the report as an attachment to email.

Great, that all works fine on the PC, move the app to the ipad, and the second report, does not get appended to the first. Spend hours trying to work out why, post a query to the forum, but gets no response,  then finally in a seperate document i find some reference to the appending of PDF not being supported on FM GO.

So great i think !!, wondering why the append option on this script step is not greyed out when the iOS compatibility option is set in the script section.

So No problem I think, not as nice, but I will generate two reports save them as PDF, and then attach them both to an email.  But only one seems to attach when i run the script. - Further reading seems to indicate filemaker will only attach one file to an email.

So there you go, around and around in circles.  So does any one who is much brighter than me, have any suggestions as to how, I can either merge two reports into one PDF on the FM Go plateform or attach 2 attachemnts to an email.

Cheers in advance

I seems to me, and again I am only new, but the appending pdf feature need supporting on the ipad side, and attaching more that one file in an email need supporting on both as a matter of urgency. 

• 1. Re: Solution Fails Every Way You Turn !
          philmodjunk

What forces you to generate two different PDFs instead of a single PDF? There are several reasons why that might be necessary, but if there is a way around that so that you can generate that PDF all in one Save As PDF, then problem solved.

Otherwise, you may be forced, when using the iPad, to send two emails, one with each attachment.

• 2. Re: Solution Fails Every Way You Turn !
            alanfair

The report has some data records which i need to print (which is fine) each data record also has an image container that may or may not contain an image, at the end of the report I want to print only the images, without lots of blank records, and have the page laid out with 4 pictures per page, two per row.

I can do the image report ok but it requires the report to be a 2 column report, which i dont want for the first part of the report, as that is a list of records.

In the end i had to go for listing the images one per line, and this way i can achieve the result in one report, as the go product a) does not support merging of reports, and none of the products support more than one email attachment. 

But there are a couple of features missing from the software, which I feel detract a bit, from what is an excellent product. After all the end user does not understand what goes on under the bonnet and if you cannot present the data in a good looking format, they tend to think the application is poor.

From my limited experience to date I think the following features need to be added.

1.  Script steps adding attachments to an email, should allow more than one attachment to be attached, in both the filemaker and filemaker go product.

2. The merge pdf feature should be supported in the go product.

3. The portal when included in a report should have an option to allow for page pagination for records.  ie if I define a portal on a report to list say 20 records, which lets say each record is 2cm high and wil lthus run over a number of pages, then when we get to the end of the page, if a record will cross the page boundary, it should be placed on the next page, rather than part on one page and part on the next.

Its all about presentation, sending two emails may produce the result, but at the end of the day, is not what an end user is expecting for what should be a single report. I could just about get away with two attachements in a single email , but of course thats not possible........ 

Thanks

• 3. Re: Solution Fails Every Way You Turn !
              philmodjunk

These would all be excellent new features in Filemaker Pro/Go.

You may also want to post them at: http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

This is the "official" spot to use for submitting feature requests.

One option that I would play with in FileMaker Pro (Don't own an iOS device and don't know if it would work in GO...) is to set up the images in a related table--one image in each table record and base the layout for this report on that images table. I'd then place the Information from that parent table in a sub summary layout part. If you select the correct printing options in Layout setup for multiple column printing, that sub summary layout part can extend the width of the page with two or more columns of image table records listed underneath it.