3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2014 6:43 AM by TSGal

Sorting numbers in logical order?

Werner

Title

Sorting numbers in logical order?

how can I get FM to sort (e.g.) the numbers 1199 - 12 - 120 - 1200 in the wanted order 12 - 120 - 1199 - 1200??? There are of course many more numbers in between, in total it is a collection of 4600 posts (litt ref cards), each card has six fields, of which one is a consecutive number given when the cards were written....  

The set has been imported from Excel, but if not possible without adding one or two zeros before them all, I have to remain in Excel.

• 1. Re: Sorting numbers in logical order?
          TSGal

Werner:

Thank you for your post.

It appears the numeric information from the Excel file has been imported into a Text field.  Sorting by a text field looks at each character.  That is why the sorting would show up as 1, 10, 100, 1000, 1001,... 2, 20, ....   If you change the Text field to a Number field, then it will sort in numeric order.

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Sorting numbers in logical order?
            Werner

Thanks TS Gal,

your suggestion sounds logical and apparent, so I hoped this will be easy. But where to change from Text to Number? I looked thru all the drop-downs, and tried the Help function with words like Field, Field type, Number field, Text field.... but only ended up with a new layout type, other"helps " seemed quite complicated, and I doubted they are really necessary to perform for this little change....

Hence I am still hesitating if FM will be so much better than my xls version. the whole set of 4600 posts started in FM many years ago, in an old version I had, but lost...

if you have patience, i am still hoping...

Werner

• 3. Re: Sorting numbers in logical order?
              TSGal

Werner:

My apologies.  I overlooked you posted on the FileMaker Go forum.

If you have a database already built, then you can go to Manage -> Database and change the field type from Text to Number.  Then, when you import the Excel file into the already existing database, the data will import correctly.

Changing the field type in FileMaker Go is not possible.  Opening an Excel file in FileMaker Go will set fields to Text; the same that would occur with FileMaker Pro.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.