3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2014 2:41 PM by philmodjunk

Stopping "Save Menu" from popping up every time some misses a field and clicks the background.

productionQC

Title

Stopping "Save Menu" from popping up every time some misses a field and clicks the background.

Hello,

I have a data entry page setup on FMP GO running off our FMPA Server.  My problem is this...  I want the user to enter all data on the page before hitting a button called Commit, which in turn prompts the user to "Save" "Don't Save" and "Cancel".  To achieve this I simply unchecked "Save record changes automatically" under Layout setup.  The problem I have now is that if a user's finger misses any of the fields on the iPhone, causing them to click the background, they get the Save menu again. Then they miss again, same thing, this menu keeps popping up.  How do I stop this from happening.  I only want this menu to appear when they click "Commit" button which has a standard "Commit Records" attached to it.

Any Ideas?

Thank you in advance!

• 1. Re: Stopping "Save Menu" from popping up every time some misses a field and clicks the background.
          TSGal

productionQC:

Thank you for your post.

Try using a script trigger for the Layout.  Specifically, OnRecordCommit.  Assuming you have two fields that require they not be empty, The script might look something like:

If [ IsEmpty ( <field1> ]
                  Go to Field [ <field1> ]
                  Halt Script
               End If
               If [ IsEmpty ) <field2> ]
                  Go to Field [ <field2> ]
                  Halt Script
               End If
               Commit Records/Requests

-----

If the user prematurely taps layout, the script runs and checks to see if the two fields are empty.  If so, it places the cursor back in that empty field and halts the script.  Otherwise, it continues through and commits the record.

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Stopping "Save Menu" from popping up every time some misses a field and clicks the background.
            productionQC

Hello TS

Thank you for the reply.  I have created the script and attached it the the layout script triggers under OnRecordCommit.  This does nothing.  The second I push my button to create a new record and the click off the field on the layout background the same pop up appears asking if I would like to save the record...  I have about ten data entry fields on the page.  In place of field1 and field2 I chose the first and last field in the order that the user would input. No matter what, the same message appears again and again...  Have I done something wrong??

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Stopping "Save Menu" from popping up every time some misses a field and clicks the background.
              philmodjunk

There is a "no dialog" option for commit records that will keep that confirmation message from popping up.

But I suggest you consider an alternative:

Set up the layout with auto-save enabled, but use global fields to accept the user input.

Then set up the "Save" button to perform a script that creates the new record and uses set field to copy over the data from the global fields to corresponding nonglobal fields in the new record.

Not only does this do what you want here, but if the user elects to cancel after inputting some data, you have no partially completed record to delete as you haven't created one yet. You can just clear the global fields so that they are ready for the next time that the user wants to record data.