8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2012 2:43 PM by EP

Storing user name?

EP

Title

Storing user name?

It is a real pain using FM GO when out and about on a mobile network.  The main problem is the disconnecting from the server and having to login again.  Is there any way to store a user name for faster logins?  This way the user will only have to provide a password.  The user name is already stored in FM GO's settings, just doesn't auto populate on the login screen.

Thanks,

• 1. Re: Storing user name?
          TSGal

E P:

Thank you for your post.

Do you have the fmreauthenticate extended privilege set up for that account?  If it is set up for that account, what occurs if you increase the number of minutes?

For more information about the fmreauthenticate extended privilege, please see page 21 of the FileMaker Go 12 Development Guide at:

http://www.filemaker.com/support/product/docs/12/filemaker-go/fmgo_development.pdf

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Storing user name?
            EP

I do.  It is set to 10080.  The problem is that it doesn't work in the way I wish it would.  FM Go is an app that issued on a mobile device (ipad in my case).  I use Verizon LTE and the connection is lost and regained throughout the day while traveling in the city.  This disconnects the user from the server no matter what the re authenticate settings are.  It is making my solution painful to use, and I get constant complaints from people using it in the field (having to constantly type a password throughout the day is bad enough, having to also type your username is unbearable). 

• 3. Re: Storing user name?
              TSGal

E P:

If this hosted file is running under FileMaker Server, what is the Idle time set up for?  If the account is Idle for a time less than the value for fmreauthenticate, then that will take precedence.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Storing user name?
                EP

I don't have an idle time set (box is unchecked).  Weird thing Is that I've been connected without disconnects for 4 days now.  I even traveled out of state and didn't disconnect when I accessed it from a cellular connection and it still is connected when I got home on wifi.  Haven't seen the disconnect message in 4 days.  I don't know what changed, but I'm starting to think the server may be the culprit here.  P.S. I'm running FMS12 on a Mac mini with a static IP and router.

• 5. Re: Storing user name?
                  TSGal

E P:

Murphy's Law.... 

I don't have an explanation why it wasn't working previously.  However, please let me know if this happens again.

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Storing user name?
                    EP

It actually happened shortly after I posted that!  But I was developing (making minor changes to the live file) so maybe that was the culprit?  In any event I have been logged on since yesterday without the error message.  I am wondering if a setting in my router may also be the culprit, but not sure where to begin looking.  I have a static IP, connected to a router, that also has WiFi devices connecting to it as well as a couple of hardwired laptops/ printers.

• 7. Re: Storing user name?
                      TSGal

E P:

My gut feeling is that this is not a router issue since you are able to access the file.  The only time I reboot the router is if users are unable to access any file.  Also, since other Wi-Fi devices are connecting successfully to the router, I don't believe it requires a reboot.  At the time that this fails, were any other devices being accessed?  For example, you may notice that it loses connection after printing.  The next time this occurs, write down everything that transpired (or that you can recall) five minutes before the disconnect.  Although one instance may not help, you may see a correlation devloping after a few times.  Sorry I can't be more definitive with a cause.

TSGal
                           FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Storing user name?
                        EP

Hard for me to say, because it happens on my mobile device when I'm on the go.  Other users are complaining a lot less about disconnections, so I guess I should be thankful for that.

Thanks for your help.  I didn't update FMS12 server to the very latest (I'm on the prior version), anyone know if this was a known bug?