9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2010 12:39 PM by VinceDolan

Strange scrolling behavior

VinceDolan

Title

Folks

This bug has plagued our solution for sometime and the cause was pretty tricky to nail down. If an iPad (haven't tried it with iPhone version, we have only deployed iPads) user is viewing a set of sorted records in list view with sub summary elements and another user preforms a replace command on any of these records (regardless of wether the replace is on any of the sort fields or break fields), the list will scroll up randomly. The focus (if the user has selected one) remains the same, but the screen has moved to a completely different portion of the list. We have several iPad users and 75 or so other users. I can't replicate this behavior, when the same layout is viewed in a Mac or Win 11 client. This behavior is at the least disorientating and at the worst (for a couple users) utterly maddening.

Vince Dolan

• 1. Re: Strange scrolling behavior
          TSGal

vinced:

Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately, I am unable to replicate the problem.  This is what I have done:

1. I opened a database file in FileMaker Pro 11.  I selected a "Customer" table with 1000+ records.

2. I created a new Text field "Extra", a new Number field "Amount", and a new Summary field "Total Amount".

3. I created a new Layout that includes the Customer First Name and Amount in the Body, and Total Amount in the Sub-Summary.

4. I sorted the table by First Name and replaced all Amount with 100.  My report shows Total Amount values for each First Name.

5. I set the file for Network sharing.

6. I launched FileMaker Go on the iPad, and opened the remote Customer file, selected the new Layout and sorted by First Name.

7. I scrolled to the middle of the listing so that I was not at the end or beginning of the listing.

8. In FileMaker Pro, I entered "TSGal" into the field "Extra" and selected "Replace All".  The display did not change in FileMaker Go.

Let me know what I'm doing differently than you, and I'll try again here.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Strange scrolling behavior
            VinceDolan

TS

Our files are hosted on FMSA 11, so the replace is being done on one of the clients attached to that server. Did you do the replace on the Win/Mac client that was hosting the file?

Vince

• 3. Re: Strange scrolling behavior
              TSGal

vinced:

Yes, I did the replace on a Mac client that was hosting the file using FileMaker Pro Advanced 11.0v2.  I don't have access to FileMaker Server at the moment, so if you can verify this only occurs for you when the file is hosted via FileMaker Server, I'll make time to get access to a server with FileMaker Server 11 and verify.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Strange scrolling behavior
                VinceDolan

TSgal

I will, in the meantime download a copy of the solution and try it locally, the same way you did and report back

Vince Dolan

• 5. Re: Strange scrolling behavior
                  tcmeyers

Vince,

Your issue may be related to the scrolling issue I've reported.

In our case, it's not because another user has changed anything, but simply that a scripted return-to-focus is missing the mark, which might be what's happening to you. To me it at first appeared random, but it actually appears to be a miscalculation on scrolling to the focus.

Take a look at How to scroll to the current record in FMGo?.

-Troy

• 6. Re: Strange scrolling behavior
                    philmodjunk

Just an observation: Performing a Replace Field Contents operation on a shared database while there may be more than one user modifying data, is not a particularly safe operation!

• 7. Re: Strange scrolling behavior
                      VinceDolan

Phil

I don't know what you mean by dangerous, you may have an issue with one or more of the line items, being locked and therefore not updating (you can capture this error, however and deal with it later, with server side scripting or a robot machine), but that isn't a concern here. As of version 7 the replace command became much faster than a looping set field, as long as you are aware of the caveats which are not applicable in this circumstance, but thanks for bringing up the concern.

Vince Dolan

• 8. Re: Strange scrolling behavior
                        philmodjunk

Yes you can trap for the error, but figuring out which record or records didn't get updated by the replace isn't always a simple thing to figure out. Wink

• 9. Re: Strange scrolling behavior
                          VinceDolan

Phil

Indeed, and if this table was being interacted with on the field level (Not just read only), by anything but scripts, I would share your concerns. We do however capture the found set and it's replace variable prior to the commands execution, so if an error does occur (which is thankfully rare), it is cued for later running.

Vince Dolan