AnsweredAssumed Answered

Sudden new problem with Go (iPad and iPhone) over wireless to FMS 11

Question asked by tcmeyers on Dec 9, 2010
Latest reply on Dec 20, 2010 by tcmeyers


Sudden new problem with Go (iPad and iPhone) over wireless to FMS 11


Today FMGo on both the iPhone and iPad stopped being able to access files hosted by FMS 11 over two of our 3 wireless networks. One still works fine. I've spent all day trying everything I can think of, including things that may not make sense, to solve it.

For both devices, the FMS 11 host can be seen when you click the icon that shows the Local Network Hosts but when you select it, "waiting for response..." displays for a while, then "(no files available)". On the one wireless network that works, you don't even see "waiting for response", the file list comes up virtually immediately.

If a desktop computer running FMSA 11 is set to host a FM file local to it, that computer is also shown in the Local Network Hosts list, and when you select it, that file IS displayed. (This particular desktop machine is connected to the same ethernet switch as the FMSA server box, so it's not a different zone or anything.) So it seems that it's just the FMSA 11 files that can't be "seen" on these two wireless networks.

A laptop computer running FMP 11 has no problem accessing the FMS11-hosted files via WiFi on the problematic wireless networks.

The iPad and iPhone have other apps that access the Internet and our intranet, and those all sure seem to work properly.

I made sure the wireless stations have well-spaced channels (1, 6, and 11).

Two of the stations are AirPort Express version 7.4.2 (can do 802.11n) and one is version 6.3 (can only do b/g) because it's earlier hardware. All are up-to-date. The problematic ones are one each of the 7.4.2 and the 6.3, so it's not the hardware or software version.

I tried deleting the FMGo off of the iPad by Xing it while it was wiggling, and then reinstalling it by reselecting it for inclusion, and re-syncing. That didn't solve the problem.

I tried the iPad in the problem zone with the charger cord connected (in case it's related to that WiFi problem mentioned elsewhere) but that did not change anything.

Swapping the "working" base station with one of the problem ones moved the physical location of the working WiFi, that is, the station continued to work in its new location, and the other one continued to misbehave in its new location. This kind-of eliminates a cable/switch issue.

The base stations are configured as similarly as they could be, as far as I can tell. They only differ in the channel and their local IP address (as they should), and the earlier model for one, of course.

I can't see anything in the FMS 11 configuration that would cause this.

Something changed, but I don't know what. A variety of changes have been made around here recently, but I can't seem to blame any of them.



P.S. Oh I forgot to mention that I reset and reconfigured the stations too. Even the working one.