3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2012 8:29 AM by coolbaldguy

Sync loses audio file container field link

coolbaldguy

Title

Sync loses audio file container field link

Created a song list / lyrics finder, single database file in FMP12 for iPad, to use with my band. Amazed at how great everything ended up looking and working. But when we learned new songs and I added them to the DB in FMP12, the container field, set up to play the song in the main song layout, can't be found after I did a sync to my iPad.  I moved the music I need to the iPad and directed each song to play from the iPad. Re-linking every song everytime I sync seems like a waste of a very good thing. There must be something that can be done to avoid such hassles from an app that, upto now, seems to have thought of everything. (even though a script button that could make ice would be nice on the next upgrade)

Any Filemaker Pro Pros out there that can help I would really appreciate.

Thanks

Screen_Shot_2012-05-27_at_2.03.49_PM.png

• 1. Re: Sync loses audio file container field link
          TSGal

coolbaldguy:

Thank you for your post.

In FileMaker Pro, when you insert an Audio file into a Container field, there is a checkbox option at the bottom to "Store only a reference to the file".  At this point, FileMaker Pro will only link the full pathname to the file.  When FileMaker Pro then goes to play the contents, it finds the file through the pathname.  When you transfer the database file to FileMaker Go, the file cannot be found since the pathname doesn't exist.  Instead, when you insert the Audio file, uncheck the checkbox so that the audio file is stored with the database file.  That way, when you transfer the database file to the iPad (or iOS device), the audio file also is transferred and can be accessed.

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Sync loses audio file container field link
            coolbaldguy

I can't find this checkbox option anywhere. In FMP 12 you insert an Audio file via the insert menu and then Quicktime.  I can't find it there. I don't see it in layout mode or under manage database. Thank you so much for responding so quickly. Please let me know when you can what I am overlooking.

• 3. Re: Sync loses audio file container field link
              coolbaldguy

So, I found the check box under the browse mode and then right clicking on the container field and selecting "Insert Audio/Video". At the bottom of that window is the check to "Store only a reference to the file". I think I over looked it before because it was never checked in the first place. I had strored the songs on both devices. The issue I was having was that I was referencing the songs on both the Mac for FMP 12 as well as the iPad, thinking that once I did a sync the FMP version would eliminate the FMGo version. It finally worked after I cleared all references to the iPad stored music files completely out of the iPad container fields. Then I made sure that the "Store only a reference to the file" was unchecked and then loaded each song into it's respective container field in FMPro. 

Finally after a sync from FMP to FMGo all was right with the world.

Thank You TSGal. It was you statement: "That way, when you transfer the database file to the iPad (or iOS device), the audio file also is transferred and can be accessed" that sent me down the right path of eliminating the path.