JeanBrodowski

Title

Synchronisation between Go and Pro

hello,

I am facing a problem for some time but I would rather ask
      review.

I created an address book using FileMaker Pro on Mac, I have an IPad
      WiFi. I wish i could use my database and fill via FM Go on iPad but
      how to synchronize the two versions ? I can find no answers.

I wish I could work on my version of FM Pro normally when I'm
      in my office. However, when I go traveling I wish I could
      export my file on my FM Go on IPad, I still
      feed my database and return to my office, resynchronize with FM Pro.
      How? Thank you! :)

Jean

• 1. Re: Synchronisation between Go and Pro
          philmodjunk

If you are the only person using this database, you need only replace the copy on your computer with the copy on your iPad when you return. If there is a chance that some other user might modify or add data to the FileMaker Pro copy while you have a copy on your iPad, then the synchronization process becomes much more complex.

If you set up your copy of FileMaker to Host the file and you can use 3G or WiFi to connect to the hosted file as a client, no synchronization is required as both iPad and computer can edit and modify the same file hosted from FileMaker Pro (or FileMaker Server).

If you can't make a wireless connection to the hosted file, then you may have to design some kind of synchronize process that identifies modified records by their modification date field and then you do an update version of Import Records to update your file. This could be simple or extremely complex depending on the number of tables in your database and the number of different copies you have that might be modified while separate from the others.

• 2. Re: Synchronisation between Go and Pro
            JeffreyFort

PhilModJunk, how does one do this?:

If you set up your copy of FileMaker to Host the file and you can use 3G or WiFi to connect to the hosted file as a client, no synchronization is required as both iPad and computer can edit and modify the same file hosted from FileMaker Pro (or FileMaker Server).

• 3. Re: Synchronisation between Go and Pro
              philmodjunk

I'm not a Go user which is why I limit my posts here to those that touch more on issues that are common with or very similar to use with FileMaker Pro on a regular computer.. It can be done but you first have to set up your computer and it's hard ware to work with the connection method(s) you choose to use. 3G requires setting up your internet router with port forwarding so that you can use your wireless internet connection to access the database. With WiFi the connection is simpler but limits you to connecting within the immediate vicinity of your computer.

If you search this part of the forum, you should find a number of posts from fellow Go users that spell this out in much more detail.

• 4. Re: Synchronisation between Go and Pro

Since you are the only user and you know which copy you used last, you can use iTunes to synchronize the two. Just copy the last file used to the other computer. Use the connecting cable, open iTunes, click on the apps tab and scroll down till you see Filemaker. Use the two buttons in the bottom right to transfer the files in the correct direction.

You need to be careful when doing this to avoid overwriting the new with the old.

Better would be using scripts to transfer changed and new data but that takes some doing.

• 5. Re: Synchronisation between Go and Pro
                  philmodjunk

Thanks for the assist Jack, but if you read Jeffery's last post, he asked a different question about using the iOS device as a client of a hosted database to avoid the need for synching the data.

• 6. Re: Synchronisation between Go and Pro

OK, answered the first now the second:

I use Wifi to open a file on my laptop using Go on my Touch (phoneless iPhone).

Here's what I do:

First open the file on the desktop/laptop/Mac and set the file for sharing under the File Menu. This must be done.

Next ensure that your desktop is using the same WiFi router as your Go device. Wifi must be active on both.

Now open Filemaker Go, tap the Open File Browser... button and then Add Host...

Open File Sharing on your desktop computer and get the TCP/IP address from File Sharing: 192.....

Enter that as the Host Address in Filemaker Go in the sentence above.

Give it a nice name>

Now you can simply tap on the name under Favorite hosts and choose which open Filemaker file to use in Go.

It's so easy my cat can do it...  :)