11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2010 2:43 PM by TSGal

Synchronisation solutions?

stcav

Title

Synchronisation solutions?

I've just started experimenting with FM Go and I've read the guidance about using a database offline on my iPhone. The official line for updating changes to the database on the computer is to copy the file back then import the changed records.

My questions are:

Is there any reason not to write the offline database back to the computer and overwrite the original file? (In my scenario, I would be the only one using the database, so only one version would be used concurrently - this is the way I keep the laptop and the desktop synchronised.)

Does using the database on the iPhone change the file structure in any way that would degrade the database on the desktop if I over-wrote in this way? I have tried a few experiments and this seems to work OK without corrupting the desktop file, but I'm wary of hidden effects.

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

Stephen

• 1. Re: Synchronisation solutions?

stcav:

Thank you for your post.

The method you suggested should suffice. The import is only necessary if you are making changes on both the iPhone and the desktop in between syncs.

The database file should remain consistent between FileMaker Go and FileMaker Pro. Additionally, instead of overwriting the old file, you could simply move it to another folder so that you also have a regular backup solution.

TSuki
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Synchronisation solutions?
            stcav

TSuki

Many thanks for your prompt and helpful response, and the good advice about backup!

Stephen

• 3. Re: Synchronisation solutions?
              JeffFort

how do you "copy the file back" from iPhone to desktop?

• 4. Re: Synchronisation solutions?
                TSGal

Jeff Fort:

Thank you for your post.

Connect your iPhone to your Mac and launch iTunes (which it may launch automatically).  Select your device, click on the "Apps" tab, and at the bottom, under "File Sharing", click on FileMaker Go.  On the right side, it will display all files that currently reside on your device.  Drag the file in question to the Desktop.

Let me know if you need clarification for any of the above steps.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Synchronisation solutions?
                  JeffFort

got it.  thanks!

• 6. Re: Synchronisation solutions?
                    JeffFort

The "master" database file resides on office Mac.  I am in the field with FM Go on iPhone.  A more current version of the file (records have been added) is on iPhone but not on office Mac.  Can you email the updated file to office Mac and the import records to the master?

• 7. Re: Synchronisation solutions?
                      JeffFort

OK, I see that the export function for FM Pro will not work on iPhone/FM Go.  Any way, other than syncing, to get updated file from iPhone to office Mac?

• 8. Re: Synchronisation solutions?
                        TSGal

Jeff Fort:

To email your database file, tap the sync icon in the upper right corner, and then select "Save/Send".  Select "Database...".  You will then get a few options for "Save/Send".  Select Email, and if your email is set up on your iPhone, a new message will appear with the database file attached.

Let me know if you need clarification for the above steps.

TSGal
                        FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Synchronisation solutions?
                          JeffFort

"To email your database file, tap the sync icon in the upper right corne...."

On the iPhone>FM Go?  I don't see a "sync icon."  I need to send the file from iPhone to office Mac.  Also, I am setting up dropbox on iPhone and 2 computers (including office Mac) and I have an Apple>iDisk account, if you can recommend an easier way to do this.

Thanks for your vigilance and responses!

• 10. Re: Synchronisation solutions?
                            JeffFort

OK.  Sorry.  I would have called the icon in the upper right a "settings" or a "preferences" icon, not a "sync" icon.  But I see and understand the "save/send" function located there.  At least I can send the updated file via email to my office Mac until some kind of sync function is added to FM Go.  Thanks!

• 11. Re: Synchronisation solutions?
                              TSGal

Jeff Fort:

My apologies.  FileMaker Go does not sync.  I'm also answering posts on the Bento forum, which does support syncing, so I confused terms.

Yes, clicking the "Settings" or "Preferences" or, as one customer put it, the "cog wheel" icon.

TSGal
                              FileMaker, Inc.