2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2014 9:43 AM by AppGuy

Tabs in label text have different behavior on iPad than PC

AdamQuintero

Title

Tabs in label text have different behavior on iPad than PC

I'm trying to display some data on a layout that is accessible from both an iPad and a PC. I am using horizontal tabs to align the text vertically. When I get the text to display properly on a PC, the iPad seems to interpret the tabs differently and displays the text incorrectly. When I fix it so it looks good on the iPad, it no longer displays correctly on the PC.

Example fixed for PC(visual only_using "->" to represent one horizontal tab character):

Display on the PC-

Home Phone:  ->   (555) 555-5555

Cell Phone:  ->->   (555) 555-5555

The same layout displays like this on an iPad:

Home Phone:  ->  (555) 555-5555

Cell Phone:  ->->            (555) 555-5555

Example fixed for iPad(visual only_using "->" to represent one horizontal tab character):

Display on the PC-

Home Phone:  ->   (555) 555-5555

Cell Phone: ->  (555) 555-5555

The same layout displays like this on an iPad:

Home Phone:  ->  (555) 555-5555

Cell Phone:  ->      (555) 555-5555

It appears to be the case that Filemaker Go is interpreting the horizontal tab character differently than Filemaker Pro. Why on earth would a cross-platform development tool exhibit this behavior? I hope I am missing something simple here.

One way to handle this would be to have 2 different versions of the text superimposed and programmed to only show up when the appropriate device is in use. Anybody have a more effecient/simple solution to this?