4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2014 2:36 PM by MorkAfur

Test for iPad "Full"?

MorkAfur

Title

Test for iPad "Full"?

I posted this on the FMP forum, but got no reply.

My FMP application running on an iPad failed recently since the iPad was out of space. What happened was the application sent the latest file available instead of the one that could not be created.

Therefore, I'm wondering how to check for "Device Full" or whatever.

Since there doesn't seem to be a GET function for determining if the iPad/IOS device has remaining space, I'm assuming you'd do something like setting ERROR ON and then trapping for the error code. Currently, I'm guessing it's something like 809 (Device full), but am not sure.

Wondering if anyone else has run into this issue and what their solution was.

Thanks in advance,

- Jim

• 1. Re: Test for iPad "Full"?
          AppGuy

I don't think there is a way... you may want to put in a feature request for this...

• 2. Re: Test for iPad "Full"?
            MorkAfur

So, are you saying you tried to capture the error with GET(LastError) and it didn't work or are you speculating that there is no way to trap this problem?

I'm hoping the iPad would throw some type of error if it couldn't create the PDF due to a space problem. I'm really, really, hoping the FMP folks thought of this obvious possible error condition.

Thanks,

- m

• 3. Re: Test for iPad "Full"?
              TSGal

Mork Afur:

Thank you for your post.

If the iOS device runs out of disk space during an export or creation of a PDF file, a disk space error is generated and displayed on the screen of the iOS device.  If you are trapping for error codes, then Get (LastError) should return 809 - Disk/Volume is full.  Your script may look something like:

Set Error Capture [ On ]
              Loop
                 Save Records as PDF [ No dialog ; <options> ]
                 Exit Loop If [ Get (LastError) = 0 ]
                 Show Custom Dialog [ "Disk Space" ; "You don't have enough disk space. Try again?" ]
                 Exit Loop If [ Get (LastMessageChoice) = 2 ]
              End Loop

-----

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Test for iPad "Full"?
                MorkAfur

Right, that's actually how I coded it, but wasn't sure. We can't reproduce the problem easily.

Thanks for your reply.

-m