6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2014 7:45 AM by garrettm

Text in fields mis-aligned in FM Go

garrettm

Title

Text in fields mis-aligned in FM Go

I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing this. When I display my forms in FM Go the text is "shoved" up against the top of the field container. It looks normal when viewing the form on Windows/Mac, but in FM Go all the text gets stuck to the top of the field container. It really looks bad when you have check boxes or radio buttons. The text sits above the check boxes and/or radio buttons.

Anyone have any idea why this is happening? And more importantly, how to fix it?

• 1. Re: Text in fields mis-aligned in FM Go
          AppGuy

Can you show us a quick screenshot?  

• 2. Re: Text in fields mis-aligned in FM Go
            garrettm

I have attached a screenshot. You'll see that the text in all the fields is pressed against the top of the field container. Also notice the radio buttons at the bottom.

• 3. Re: Text in fields mis-aligned in FM Go
              SteveMartino

Happens all the time.  Some say to try different fonts.  Easiest for me was to set up a peer to peer network with my desktop and my ios device.  Make sure ios devices have their own layouts.  Edit layout on desktop and watch the changes on the ios device in real time until the text/alignment looks right.  Slow but the only way I know of.  Hope someone else has a quicker solution. 

• 4. Re: Text in fields mis-aligned in FM Go
                AppGuy

There are several things that you can check...

Open your inspector.. click on the field..

check the padding... and alignment..  These are the 2 most common things that get changes or can fix it..

• 5. Re: Text in fields mis-aligned in FM Go
                  rgordon

JP gave you a great suggestion.  I find that using Helvetica Neue works well on an iPad to avoid this issue.  You could also center align the field.  In looking at your screen shot I think you have a much bigger problem than the alignment.  I would highly recommend building a new layout specifically designed for the iPad.  The layout might work on a computer but it is very overwhelming on an iPad..  On an iPad everything needs to be bigger and the goal should be to put a little as possible on the layout instead of as much as possible.  By using Popovers and Slide Panels you can still include everything you need but those thing remain hidden until you need them.  For instance, all of the buttons in the upper right corner could be put in a Popover.  Then you could have just one popover button in the upper right corner that when a user taps the button the popover will opens up will all of the other buttons.

• 6. Re: Text in fields mis-aligned in FM Go
                    garrettm

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions! I will try these out today. I'm thinking that I'll need to do what rgordon suggested and re-design the screens just for the iPad. I am gradually moving my application over from a PC/Mac based application to a mobile app. My challenge is I have HUNDREDS of layouts (this is a pretty extensive vertical application!).