4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2014 6:03 AM by TSGal

Transferring file from iMac to iPad with iTunes: Problem

JackShuler

Title

Transferring file from iMac to iPad with iTunes: Problem

I have created a runtime solution and want to transfer my updates to FM Go with iTunes. I have tried to follow these instructions (To transfer files to your device using iTunes:

1.           Connect your device to your computer.
      3.           In iTunes, select your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad device, then click the Apps tab.
      5.           Below File Sharing, select FileMaker Go from the Apps list, then click Add. 
      7.           Select the files to transfer, then click Open

but can't find where to click Open. This is from an answer id: 7754 from this site. Very confused at this point.

The file is a Church Member Directory so members can have contact info with photos. 

I have been able to use share on my wi-fi network just fine, but I would like to put the runtime on a Mac-Mini at my Church and let those who have IOS devices to update as needed. I'm testing it here before I try it a Church.

Am I going about this all wrong? 

Thanks for any help

Jack

• 1. Re: Transferring file from iMac to iPad with iTunes: Problem
          philmodjunk

For use on your iOS device, the file does not need to be a runtime file.

When you click "Add file...", you should get a dialog open on your computer for selecting a file. You click a file or files to select it and then click the Open button in the bottom of this standard open file dialog.

(And make sure that your iOS device is not asleep and that you've opened the display by entering your pass code.)

• 2. Re: Transferring file from iMac to iPad with iTunes: Problem
            TSGal

Jack Shuler:

Thank you for your post.

Due to the changes in iTunes, the open dialog box now displays "Add" instead of "Open".  Therefore, step #4 should read, "Select the files to transfer, then click Add".

Knowledge Base Article #7754 has been updated.

We apologize for the confusion.

TSGal
                 FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Transferring file from iMac to iPad with iTunes: Problem
              JackShuler

Thanks to all,

I did what you said TSGal and that worked. I saw though that it put the whole fie on there with all the layouts. I only wanted to update the tables. The reason is on the iPad solution I deleted all layouts but the iPad ones to save space.

Is this reasonable or should I just leave all layouts and transfer the update that way?

Sorry but I'm still new at this.

Thanks

Jack

• 4. Re: Transferring file from iMac to iPad with iTunes: Problem
                TSGal

Jack Shuler:

If you want to only update the data, then have the file open in FileMaker Pro and connect to the file via Wi-Fi or 3g wireless network and make changes in real time.  To do this, open the file in FileMaker Pro.  Pull down the File menu and select "Sharing -> Share with FileMaker Clients...".  In the "FileMaker Network Settings" window, first turn on Network Sharing, and in the bottom left quadrant, click on the file you want to share, and in the bottom right quadrant, click "All Users".  Click OK.  Your database file is now set up for sharing.

Launch FileMaker Go, click Hosts, and select your computer where the FileMaker Pro file is located.  Open the file, and you can start making changes in real-time.

If you don't have access via Wi-Fi or 3G network, then you'll need to create some scripts to update the data to the host file.  FileMaker does not have any "sync" option built-in, but there are a couple of third-party vendors that have a syncing solution (Mirrorsync by 360Works and GoZync by SeedCode come immediately to mind).

For more about Network Sharing, see Knowledge Base Article #6096 at:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6096

For more about database syncing, see Knowledge Base Article #7720 at:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7720

... and the FileMaker Sync Guide at:

http://www.filemaker.com/solutions/ios/docs/fmi_guide_sync_en.pdf

TSGal
                     FileMaker, Inc.