7 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2013 4:37 PM by bcheang

Transferring files to iPad using iTunes

bcheang

Title

Transferring files to iPad using iTunes

I am having a very frustrating time trying to copy a Filemaker 12 file to my iPad to use with Filemaker Go 12. I had no problem yesterday. Today, it refused to do it and I keep getting the message in iTunes saying that I don't have the permissions to view the content of the file.

I have no problems copying PDFs and other files, only Filemaker files. I have repaired permissions, etc. but still doesn't work.

Screen_Shot_2013-05-16_at_9.33.04_AM.jpg

• 1. Re: Transferring files to iPad using iTunes
          TSGal

bcheang:

Thank you for your post.

It is possible the header of the file is damaged.  Therefore, open the file in FileMaker Pro 12, and if it opens successfully, close the file so the header information is updated properly.  

Reboot your iPad to clear out any possible memory issues.  Then, connect your iPad to iTunes.  In iTunes, select the iPad, click on the Apps tab, scroll to the bottom under File Sharing and click on FileMaker Go.  On the right side, remove the old version of the file.  Then, move over the file that has been opened and closed in FileMaker Pro.  Apply the changes.  Does this work?

If so, with your iPad still connected, launch FileMaker Go and select the file from the home screen.

Keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Transferring files to iPad using iTunes
            bcheang

Yes, the file opens without problems in Filemaker Pro 12. I even saved a copy, etc.

iPad has been switched off. Filemaker Go removed and reinstalled. No luck.

• 3. Re: Transferring files to iPad using iTunes
              TSGal

bcheang:

I definitely want to see the file so I can determine why it doesn't copy to the iPad.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Transferring files to iPad using iTunes
                TSGal

bcheang:

I received your file.  Thank you.

I uncompressed the zip file, dragged the file into iTunes -> [iPad Device] -> Apps -> File Sharing -> FileMaker Go 12.  It copied over fine to my iPad.

Therefore, try uncompressing the file you sent me and try again.  If this also fails, then copy off each of the files from your iPad to your computer, delete FileMaker Go, and download a fresh copy.  Then, copy the files back to the iPad.

TSGal
                     FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Transferring files to iPad using iTunes
                  TSGal

bcheang:

I was just alerted that iOS Data Protetion was enabled with FileMaker Go 12.0.7, so you need to enter a passcode on your iOS device to transfer files. For a complete description, see Knowledge Base Article #11877 at:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11877

I apologize for not providing this information earlier.

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Transferring files to iPad using iTunes
                    bcheang

Thank you for all your help. Wish the error dialog box in iTunes would have been more precise, or the Knowledge Base article was a bit more prominent...

Once again, thanks.

• 7. Re: Transferring files to iPad using iTunes
                      bcheang

Curiously, after I did a restore of my iPad, everything works even though I've set a passcode on my device.