3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2011 8:59 AM by disabled_JackRodgers

Transferring records and formats to different computer

SuzanneMarch

Title

Transferring records and formats to different computer

I am new with both FilemakerPro and Mac.  I am trying to transfer data and formats onto 2nd computer,  Both computers are Mac's and we have an old version 8.0v2.  Using a travel drive I have successfully copied the data which appears in a column alphabetically.  The layouts are not there.  Is there a way to transfer so I can use these predesigned layouts on thi back-up computer?  

• 1. Re: Transferring records and formats to different computer
          TSGal

Suzanne March:

Thank you for your post.

The database file contains all the layouts, data, etc.  If you copy the database file to another machine, there should be no reason why Filemaker Pro 8.0v2 can't open the file.  If you are using calculation functions that don't exist in FileMaker Pro 8.0v2, you should at least display the same layouts.  Make sure you are copying the correct database file.

If the problem still persists, please describe what you are seeing on one machine, but not on the second machine.  Take screen shots and attach them to the reply.

In the future, since this is the FileMaker Go board, please post to the "Using FileMaker Pro" board.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Transferring records and formats to different computer
            philmodjunk

Perhaps your database consists of more than one file. Sometimes the database is split into a "data" file and an "interface" file. From what you describe, it could be that you've copied the data file, but left the interface file behind on the original machine.

• 3. Re: Transferring records and formats to different computer

Filemaker opens to a defalt layout in a table and what layout and what table depends...

It sounds like you are opening Filemaker and seeing the layout but don't know what to do after that.

Under the View menu choose Go To Layout and select one of the layouts. This should get you started.

On a computer with a complete installatin of Filemaker, select the Help menu and look for the menu item for documentation and help and go from there.