14 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2014 10:27 AM by philmodjunk

Type shift in FMGO 13

mrjw34

Title

Type shift in FMGO 13

I created a db in FM Pro 13 and lined up check boxes with some type. When I view it in FMGO 13 the alignment is off. 

Any idea why? It looks like the GO version is not respecting the line spacing I added.

FM Pro is on the left, FMGO on the right:

• 1. Re: Type shift in FMGO 13
          AppGuy

How do you have them setup?  Is this a standard checkbox with values or do you have each checkbox as it's own field?

• 2. Re: Type shift in FMGO 13
            philmodjunk

It's a known issue.

For More Information see:     Issue with line spacing in Checkbox sets

This is one of many acknowledged bugs that can be found in the Known Bug List for FileMaker Go thread here in the Report an Issue section of the forum.

It can also be downloaded as a database file from:    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jt09b82i0xijbu3/FMP%20Bugs.zip

• 3. Re: Type shift in FMGO 13
              mrjw34

I guess it's good that it's known. Makes for an awkward layout. 

• 4. Re: Type shift in FMGO 13
                philmodjunk

I'd redesign the layout to use portals with one value in each portal row and a button for selecting the value.

• 5. Re: Type shift in FMGO 13
                  TSGal

John Weber:

Thank you for your post.

The text engines in iOS is different than Mac OS, and we try to render closely.  It is suggested that you create separate layouts for Mac and iOS, and then select the appropriate layout depending on the device being used.

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Type shift in FMGO 13
                    AppGuy

TSGal-

Even though we have separate layouts... The issue still exist...  

I agree separate layouts are a must to make it look and feel the best..

JP

• 7. Re: Type shift in FMGO 13
                      mrjw34

It is suggested that you create separate layouts for Mac and iOS, and then select the appropriate layout depending on the device being used.

So you're saying I should create a version of layout on the Mac that is wildly off alignment then test it on an iOS device until it looks lined up? 

Really?

• 8. Re: Type shift in FMGO 13
                        AppGuy

John-

It is best practice to have a Desktop Layout, iPhone Layout, and iPad Layout if you have all these devices.  FM makes it pretty easy with the guidelines already in there.  

If you are using no tool bars you will want to take that into consideration when sizing..  I do have 2 layouts for each one..  Yes it is more development but I can ensure the user experience is exactly what I want it to be.

Screen Dimensions for an iPad are as follows:

Portrait (with toolbar): 768W x 929H

Portrait (No toolbar): 768W x 973H

Landscape (with toolbar): 1024W x 673H

Landscape (No toolbar): 1024W x 717H

• 9. Re: Type shift in FMGO 13
                          AppGuy

Here is a sample that checks what device you are on..

If [PatternCount ( Get ( ApplicationVersion ) ; “Go_iPad” ) = 1]
                                      Go to Layout [“iPad_Home” (HOME)]
                          Else If [PatternCount ( Get ( ApplicationVersion ) ; “Go” ) = 1]
                                      Go to Layout [“iPhone_Home” (HOME)]
                          Else
                                      Go to Layout [“Home” (HOME)]
                          End If

• 10. Re: Type shift in FMGO 13
                            mrjw34

I am using a specified layout for the iPhone scaled to the exact FM specs. I do all the design on that layout on my Mac. I'm not trying to make a desktop layout work on the phone.

I have 4 other databases as well and all of them have many elements that line up correctly when viewed on the iPhone. This particular area is the only place on any layout where the alignment is dramatically different from the iPhone-sized desktop layout vs. the phone.

I have to think it's something about the linespacing and the text engine. This is the only area on any of my layouts where I've created boxes of text (2 here-right and left) instead of lines of text being separate elements. In this case I arranged the checkboxes to match the leading. Matching boxes with text on a single line works fine elsewhere but here where multiple lines have line spacing, it doesn't work. It looks to me as if iOS is not recognizing the linespacing of those two columns.

*I created the text this way so I could add more subjects without moving a whole lot of individual lines of text around alphabetically.

• 11. Re: Type shift in FMGO 13
                              AppGuy

gotcha...  It definitely sounds like the known issue.. (BUG)!!

• 12. Re: Type shift in FMGO 13
                                philmodjunk

Yep, and that's why I suggested an alternative layout design that can be set to look and function nearly identically to what you wanted to do with your check box fields, but which avoids the line spacing bug. Though if what you have is used for data entry on an iPhone, the check boxes in your screen shot look far too small and close together for a finger to easily tap the correct value.

• 13. Re: Type shift in FMGO 13
                                  mrjw34

Thanks for the layout suggestion you gave earlier. But for my needs (and more importantly my low level of expertise), this method works OK.

Well, if it all lined up it would!

The spacing actually works fine for using the checkboxes on the phone. I don't think those posted images are quite 100%

• 14. Re: Type shift in FMGO 13
                                    philmodjunk

this method works OK.

Well, if it all lined up it would!

I will gently suggest that those two lines of text contradict each other. A portal is pretty easy to set up and then the size of the portal row and the formatting of the text within it will control the spacing and thus you won't get a misalignment. Neither is the scripting needed to make it function like a check box field very complex though the calculation to delete a selected item (to simulate "clearing" a check box) can be a bit complex in some applications.