1 2 3 Previous Next 31 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2014 10:37 AM by philmodjunk

Unable to commit a record in Go after disconnect

robyne

Title

Unable to commit a record in Go after disconnect

I am using FM12/Server & Go.

I am wondering if there is a nice work around to the error message "your record cannot be saved because the record was modified while you were disconnected".  Unfortunately, when this happens, Go gets stuck and the only way deal with is to force the user out (on a couple of occasions I had to do this via the Server).  Not nice.  While I cannot do much about the [crappy] cell signals, I'd love to know if I can somehow bounce the user out automatically if the connection interrupted.  Any thoughts?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Unable to commit a record in Go after disconnect
          philmodjunk

Better management of interrupted communications would be helpful. But I don't have a suggestion for that.

When your client iOS device "gets stuck" have you tried reverting the record to get free? I realize that results in a loss of data on the part of the iOS client's changes to the record, but it may be useful as step one. What I'm thinking of is a script to copy the data to a set of variables or global fields, reverting the record and then setting up some sort of system where the user can examine the updated record from the server and compare it to their changes in order to make an intelligent choice as to whether to go ahead and apply their updates or not....

• 2. Re: Unable to commit a record in Go after disconnect
            robyne

We do "revert" to get free.  However, it is not particularly elegant especially when the disconnect happens in the middle of a script.  Also, Go will not always let the user revert.  It's get stuck in a loop of some kind.  I'm not especially worried about the lost data since very little can be lost at any one time.  The real problem is that the users are befuddled by the process and can make it worse.  So I am trying to come up with a way to just bounce them out with a nice little note.

• 3. Re: Unable to commit a record in Go after disconnect
              schamblee

Have you look at the Filemaker Sync Guide? 

Here is a link to it

http://www.filemaker.com/solutions/ios/docs/fmi_guide_sync_en.pdf

• 4. Re: Unable to commit a record in Go after disconnect
                robyne

I am updating this.  I am still having major issues here and I am now wondering two things:

1.  How are records committed via Filemaker Go? I actually have users who enter data offsite, come back to our office and find all the data is gone.  I was under the impression that once you input data to goes directly to the server.  Does FMGo have some sort of "save the info" function if the connection to the server is lost?  Do I need a commit record button?

2.  I am using Airwatch as a method to manage all my ipads.  Is there a possibility that the profiles on Airwatch (or Apple configurator) could cause some sort of interference with Filemaker go?

We are now getting the message "This item cannot be modified here because it is already being modified in a different window"  or a message that the user is needs to try to reconnect because he was disconnect (though there is no message about being disconnected) several times day (worse since I've added all my users into Airwatch and upgraded to ios 7) Half my people now have to carry hard copies of everything just for back up so I need a solution to this. 

Thanks

• 5. Re: Unable to commit a record in Go after disconnect
                  philmodjunk

"This item cannot be modified here because it is already being modified in a different window"

Is an issue that seems to be getting reported with increasing frequency. I've encountered that one myself. I've been able to resolve it by double clicking the home button to get the list of all open apps, then flick the FM GO application up to close it. When I re-open the database, the problem is corrected until the next time that it recurs....

And since the start of this thread, I've also encountered the other error condition when "your record cannot be saved because the record was modified while you were disconnected" when testing the solution by hosting it from my laptop and connecting to it via WiFi from my phone. This happens when my phone goes to sleep while I am making design changes on the host. I then get an endless round robin of error messages and neither revert nor cancel gets me out. I have to close the file on the host to get out of the loop.

• 6. Re: Unable to commit a record in Go after disconnect
                    robyne

Have you tried setting auto-lock to never?  I am wondering if that could be a short term work around.  Obviously, it is a security issue and a batter drain.

• 7. Re: Unable to commit a record in Go after disconnect
                      philmodjunk

I have considered that, or at least extending the time interval for it. But since this only happens to me during development, I can also make it a point to close the file on the phone before making additional changes to my design and that's even simpler.

• 8. Re: Unable to commit a record in Go after disconnect
                        bigtom

I have seen this when I make design changes while the device is asleep. I just send a message to everyone to exit the application for a few minutes. I believe sometimes data gets lost on currently entered records. I only do updates during off hours when the devices are shut down and charging now.

I might update a value list on the fly but that is about it.

• 9. Re: Unable to commit a record in Go after disconnect
                          robyne

I don't make design changes when users are out and about without shutting down the system.  It causes too many problems. 

I would note, that I have had these issues crop up also when I've update the profile on the ipads from Airwatch. 

For the record, switching to Never, seems to be helping... so far....

• 10. Re: Unable to commit a record in Go after disconnect
                            philmodjunk

I don't make design changes when users are out and about without shutting down the system.  It causes too many problems.

That's an excellent suggestion for any hosted database whether your clients are Go clients or Pro clients.

Please note that in my case, however, I'm working with a solution that will eventually be copied to an iPhone and function as a standalone solution. The only client device is my own phone and the only reason that I have connected to it as a client is as a quick way to test scripts, layouts etc during the development process without having to copy the file back and forth between devices.

The issues described here add to the "frustration level" and increase the amount of time it takes me to complete my production of a new version of the database file.

• 11. Re: Unable to commit a record in Go after disconnect
                              robyne

Just out of curiosity, has this problem occurred in FM13?

• 12. Re: Unable to commit a record in Go after disconnect
                                philmodjunk

My reports here are from using FM GO 13.

• 13. Re: Unable to commit a record in Go after disconnect
                                  rgordon

Robyne,

I think you are experiencing a bug in FM Go or FM Server.  I've reported this issue.  I think the problem occurs because when FileMaker Go reconnects it record locks itself.  Nobody else is in the record but either FM Go or Server thinks the iPad is connected twice to the same record.  If you get the Revert message, you are in for a rocky ride.  If you click Revert I've seen the whole found set of records being deleted. Not good.  I would suggest trying Phil's recommendation of closing the App by tapping twice on the home button and then sliding up the App.

• 14. Re: Unable to commit a record in Go after disconnect
                                    robyne

I concur that currently that technique is the best way out of the bug.  I can also say that I've watched what happens in my Admin Console when the bug occurs.  Often (but not always) you can see two that there are two of the same users listed.  It's as if the FM Server is not clearing the user when the connection is lost.  That said, I don't think it is a reasonable solution for the long term.  I am talking to Filemaker directly about this because I need to know that my very large monetary investment in FM & ipads is worth it.   Right now, I have to have everyone take a paper back up just in case they loose the information they are inputting when the system fails.  If I get any more good information, I will pass it along.

1 2 3 Previous Next