5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2014 9:45 AM by nifty

Unable to create or delete portal item on iPad

nifty

Title

Unable to create or delete portal item on iPad

I created a FileMaker Pro 13 file that has a portal. Inside the portal is an area for Notes. I created a button to delete the note using the Remove Portal Row script. Everything works fine in FileMaker Pro 13. I can create notes and delete them. When I look in the Notes table, they show up fine with the correct ID number.

When I move it to the iPad, if I try to create a new note or delete one that is already there, I get this message:

This item cannot be modified here because it is already being modified in a different window.

Any suggestions as to what could be wrong? I log in on the iPad as Admin thinking the error was because I didn't have privilege as Guest.

• 1. Re: Unable to create or delete portal item on iPad
          TSGal

Mike Wile:

Thank you for your post.

Is the file being opened locally on the iPad, or is the file being hosted remotely and accessed as a client?  If the latter, make sure that another user who may be accessing the file is not modifying the record.  If this is occurring locally, check to make sure another window isn't open with the record being modified.

Try relaunching FileMaker Go, open the file, and try again.

Keep me posted with any progress.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Unable to create or delete portal item on iPad
            nifty

Thanks for the help.

It is being opened locally and there are no other windows open.

If I host remotely and access as a client, it works fine on the iPad.

Mike

• 3. Re: Unable to create or delete portal item on iPad
              TSGal

Mike Wile:

If the issue still occurs after restarting FileMaker Go, then I'd like to see a copy of the database file.  I will try it here to determine why it is failing.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Unable to create or delete portal item on iPad
                TSGal

Mike Wile:

I received your files.  Thank you.

I am unable to replicate the issue.  This is what I have done.

1. I transferred the file to my iPad running iOS 8.0.2.

2. I launched FileMaker Go 13.0v5 and opened the file.

3. I went to the CustomerInvoice layout. selected the second record Name field, added a Note to the Notes portal, and committed the record.  No issue.

4. For that new record, I tapped the trash can icon for the new Note record (it took several tries as the trash can icon is small and difficult to tap), and in the Confirm dialog box, I tapped Yes.  The portal record was deleted.

5. I then performed the same steps for records 28 and 29.  No difficulty.

If you are still getting the issue after relaunching FileMaker Go, then try rebooting the iPad.  If the issue still occurs, download a fresh copy of FileMaker Go 13.0v5.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Unable to create or delete portal item on iPad
                  nifty

When I couldn't create or delete the records last week, I reinstalled FileMaker Go. It didn't seem to help.

I deleted it off the iPad and reinstalled it today. It now seems to work! Thanks for your help.