4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2014 7:12 AM by schamblee

Unable to enter info...

drmacintosh

Title

Unable to enter info...

Running iOS 8.1.2 along with FileMaker Go 11.0.2 on an iOS device.  After creating a New Record, I start entering my data into the different fields.  Once one field has data I click on Next and the data disappears.  I removed any Recently Opened files, shutdown FileMaker Go, quit any other apps running in the background before powering down the device.  Restarted the device after several seconds, tried again opening the database on the device and again created a New Record before entering info into the fields and the same thing happened mentioned above.  I then tried from another device and no luck there either.  The devices are 4th Generation iPad and 5th Generation iPod Touch.  What gives?  Any help appreciated.

• 1. Re: Unable to enter info...
          schamblee

Filemaker  Go 11 requires ios 5.1 or 6 and is not compatible with newer version.   Filemaker was discontinue for sale April 2013, almost 2 years ago.

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12603/~/filemaker-go-11-for-ipad-running-on-ios-7-crashes 

• 2. Re: Unable to enter info...
            TSGal

Dennis A. Deschamps:

Thank you for your post.

The answer from "S Shamble" is correct (Thank you!).  FileMaker Go 11 and FileMaker Go 12 were developed and released before iOS 8 became available.  While these earlier versions of FileMaker Go may install and run on iOS 8, you may encounter stability issues for which there is no resolution.

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Unable to enter info...
              drmacintosh

I asked this question because there are many users and businesses, large or small,  that are using older versions of FM.  Being one of these people, FM Pro Advanced 11, I can see that not everyone, not every business can afford to upgrade to the latest version.  There are individuals and companies that have hardware, software & custom designed solutions for which are also not possible for them to upgrade.  I am fully aware that companies eventually have to discontinue older hardware & software.  On the Internet there are companies searching for someone via hardware & software Community Forums & Support Communities, Employment Agencies & Job Boards asking if there is someone who can help out with a custom solution that has been developed in an older version of FM.  I also know that .FP7 files are not compatible with .FM12.  A user can only convert .FP7 files to .FP12 but not the other way around.  This is another reason that individuals and companies do not upgrade because like anything else can not spend the money to retrain themselves and/or company.  A good example is with Microsoft Office when the layout changed between 2003 & 2007+.  There are companies with their employees  who said they can not find a menu bar item and/or do not like the new user interface.  Moving forward here what options/solutions are there?

• 4. Re: Unable to enter info...
                schamblee

Apparently you upgraded your operating system and that is the reason it is not running.   My suggestion is to read all documentation before you upgrade and verify that it is compatible, If it is not compatible then don't upgrade until you have the money to upgrade your operating system and Filemaker.  Why is it any more reasonable for a company to continue to support an item that has been  discontinue for almost two years.  So, you believe for filemaker to be profitable it must maintain all old version of it software and to also maintain old hardware plus new hardware, because it would have to be tested on every version of operating system since the being of time. (FM runs on MACs, PCs, iPhones, iPads, iPods) Considering the number of different devices, they couldn't afford to create new version of the software.  Even Microsoft discontinue support for items, and they also don't guarantee that an item is compatible with newer versions operating systems, that was not out at the time the software came out.   You have to consider that Filemaker stayed with the fp7 version for several years and it was time for a major upgrade which it did with filemaker 12.   Sometimes change is good.    Key here is to keep your old hardware with old operating system until you can afford to upgrade to newer better hardware, software and operating system.  There has to be a middle and I think filemaker has been reasonable with respect to supporting older version of its software.  Apple has made major changes to its ios for new products that it is coming out with, so it is not all Filemaker fault.

The options would be to roll back your operating system to a compatible version or upgrade filemaker.