7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 29, 2012 3:16 PM by disabled_JackRodgers

Updating between Desktop and iPad2

jimdimitri

Title

Updating between Desktop and iPad2

Have installed Filemakergo on iPad2, syned via iTunes. GREAT.

Now, have added new items in one database on the iPad but can not see them on the desktop after a sync with iTunes.

What am i doing wrong.

If dropbox was used it would update easily (I think)

Thanks

Jim D

• 1. Re: Updating between Desktop and iPad2

iTunes does not SYNC database records it transfers files between the two, in this case it moves a Filemaker file to the other device. Once you enter records into such a file it does not match the other. You can use this technique to only open the file last modified with a little practice.

Dropbox also will not SYNC database records but transfer the files between the two.

You can open the Filemaker file on your computer and share it over wifi or the internet and then the data will be maintained in only one copy.

Syncrhonizing data between two files on two coputers is possible but requires careful scripting and their are solutions available for this. For instance you have a file on your iPad that you work on and then when you get an internet connection or wifi connection you can synchronize the data between the two files.

• 2. Re: Updating between Desktop and iPad2
            jimdimitri

As I am the only one to use the databases, I have only one open at a time. Either they are opened on the desktop or now on the iPad2. (Before this was done with filemaker Mobile with my palm product -it worked back and forth GREAT) I expect the same with Filemaker GO.

Also I was supposed to get a trial version of GO with Filemaker 11 but NO I had to purchase GO from the Apple App store (NOT HAPPY)

Now with Dropbox as I am only using one platform at a time, IT WORKS great.

SO - with that said how do I sync using WIFI as I will not have my databases on the internet as my desktop is only on when I am home and working on it.

Thanks

Jim

• 3. Re: Updating between Desktop and iPad2
              TSGal

James Dimitrious:

Thank you for your post.

The posting from "Jack Rodgers" still applies.  FileMaker Go will not sync with FileMaker Pro.  You would need to write some scripts to transfer the data between FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Go.  Once the Wi-Fi connection is recognized, you can invoke a script from the hosted file that would import the data and do the proper comparisons to see which data is different and what should be changed.  It would be similar to having the same file on two different machines and then syncing the changes.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Updating between Desktop and iPad2
                jimdimitri

Could you point me in the direction of where to look for how to do this?

Having recently upgraded from 5.5 to 9(looking at 11), all my scripts broke and as of yet I can not figure out why they don't work!

Thnaks

Jim

• 5. Re: Updating between Desktop and iPad2
                  philmodjunk

Having recently upgraded from 5.5 to 9(looking at 11), all my scripts broke and as of yet I can not figure out why they don't work!

Not sure why this post is in the FM GO Forum nor why this specific thread, but You'll need to examine your scripts carefully. Using FileMaker advanced's script debugger to watch a proglem script execute step by step is a real time and frustration saver. A common glitch in converted "pre-seven" files is that scripts that use perfrom script to perform a script in another file don't automatically pop the file's window to the front and give it the focus. You may find that you need to add a few select window steps here and there before your converted scripts run correctly.

• 6. Re: Updating between Desktop and iPad2
                    JeffreyFort

I REALLY need FMGo to sync with FM Pro on my desktop. Or, if that is not possible, that I can make changes on a mobile device in the field and have them on my desktop when I get back to the office and on the same WIFI. Is that possible?

• 7. Re: Updating between Desktop and iPad2

There is a commercial product for Filemaker called Zync. You can Google it.

Being an old timer I intend to write my own scripts and make certain adjustments as some things can be simplified such as using related tables where you can simple grab the record and not worry about synchronization. This also creates a nice history of stuff.

So, I am not going to start a project 'syncing' some of my files and I'll blog about it.