5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2014 9:05 AM by FredFaust

Upload multiple images from iPhone/iPad

FredFaust

Title

Upload multiple images from iPhone/iPad

Hey, I'm wondering if there's a way to upload multiple images from the iPhone or iPad with the Go app? 

I've built out a pretty nice mobile solution thus far for our guys, the only really huge complaint is how much time it takes to add an image to a container and upload it one by one, they stopped doing it which could be really bad in the future. 

Is there a way it can work like how facebook or the photo sharing app does it? So you can pick a bunch of photos, then hit upload then just wait for it to upload? 

• 1. Re: Upload multiple images from iPhone/iPad
          philmodjunk

You are aware that they can insert the photo into a container field at the time that they take the picture? In FileMaker Go 13, this can be streamlined a bit with the Insert From Device script step.

Otherwise, for a batch upload, it might be easier for them to return to the office and use a computer to do the batch import from a computer's folder via FileMaker Pro. ImportRecords Folder could import all the images into a folder and display them in a list or grid where a mouse click can select the desired individual images on that layout.

• 2. Re: Upload multiple images from iPhone/iPad
            FredFaust

Yeah, they are aware, they just don't want it to work like that. They really would prefer looking at thumbnails and checking off each one for that associated record. They are grumpy and old so I'm trying to make their lives a little easier. 

• 3. Re: Upload multiple images from iPhone/iPad
              TSGal

Fred Faust:

Thank you for your post.

At this time, FileMaker Go does not have a batch upload of media content.  I recommend that you submit this suggestion to our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

The entries into this web form populate a database file that is monitored by Product Management and Development.  Each of these entries are reviewed and considered for possible inclusion in a future release.  Although I could easily copy your post and paste it into the web form, there are a couple of questions asked that only you can answer.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Upload multiple images from iPhone/iPad
                philmodjunk

They really would prefer looking at thumbnails and checking off each one for that associated record.

Once they have taken the picture via Insert From Device, FM Go can display thumbnails from those container fields into which the picture was inserted for selection so that the image records can be linked to the desired record in their main table.

• 5. Re: Upload multiple images from iPhone/iPad
                  FredFaust

PhilModJunk, yeah that's how we have it. It'd be cool to let the FM Go app use the image selector API in iOS, then denote a recordset and use a for each script with it to add each. 

I was just going to do that and have FM send the files to a different folder, then use a web view gallery to view them on the record inside of FM, but there's no way to get the app to choose more than one image. I'll have to submit it as a feature and hope they can work that out or give us a choice to work it out.