10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2014 1:42 PM by TSGal

Use of mobile Apps under iOS 8

yogi37

Title

Use of mobile Apps under iOS 8

Hello everyone,

a little embarrassing while I realize this is not the right forum for such a question. But since FM does not allow posting to the Bento Forum anymore…

Has anyone tried running Bento for iPhone v1.2.2 with iOS 8? I realize Bento is no longer supported and one should really get on with a replacement app for this and so on. But being an extensive Bento user, this would mean a lot of conversion work, and if I can hang-on, I'd rather do that for now

• 1. Re: Use of mobile Apps under iOS 8
          schamblee

I don't use Bento, but I would guess it is not supported.  Filemaker Go 13.04 had to be upgraded to work with ios8, and there are still items in 13.05 that doesn't work like it did in ios7. 

Filemaker  usually does not test a product that is no longer available with new os, which doesn't mean it will not run, it just mean they don't spend time or money on old products.  Even Filemaker Go 11 which was a paid version. 

• 2. Re: Use of mobile Apps under iOS 8
            TSGal

Pierre Malo:

My iPhone will not run iOS 8.  However, my iPad does have iOS 8, and Bento for iPad appears to work.  That is, I can launch it and enter data.

I just downloaded Bento for iPhone 1.2.2 to my iPad, and it also appears to work.

I will try to track down someone with an iPhone with iOS 8 that has Bento installed.  I'll keep you posted.

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Use of mobile Apps under iOS 8
              TSGal

Pierre Malo:

Bento for iPhone 1.2.2 launches under iOS 8.1.1.  I am able to enter and save data.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Use of mobile Apps under iOS 8
                yogi37

Great, thanks a lot for the info TSGal!

• 5. Re: Use of mobile Apps under iOS 8
                  schamblee

I would still suggest having good backups of your device incase you need to go back to your current ios.   As with previous version of Go, it would run and store data, but not all script steps worked correctly or as expected after upgrading the ios until Go was also updated.  

• 6. Re: Use of mobile Apps under iOS 8
                    yogi37

Thanks for the tip, S! I haven't upgraded to iOS 8 yet, but noticed FM released yet another update to GO, so it seems things are being taken care of. For the time being, everything seems fine with 13.05 on iOS 7.1

• 7. Re: Use of mobile Apps under iOS 8
                      schamblee

That is my point about Bento may not work as expected under ios8, Look at Go it has several updates.

• 8. Re: Use of mobile Apps under iOS 8
                        mayermayer

Hello TSGal, I have an very important question: Does Bento for iPad 1.1.6 work on iOS 8.1.2? Could it be opened and is it editable? 1000 thanks, need your urged answer. I know, it wouldn't open on iOS 7.x.x. Is it now possible?

• 9. Re: Use of mobile Apps under iOS 8
                          schamblee

Support for Bento ended July 2014.  Bento working with newer ios is not very likely because Bento isn't being updated. Bento sales stopped September 2013.  Even if it loads does not mean  that all function will operate as expected.  You really shouldn't upgrade your os if your not planning on upgrading your software. Software companies are in the business of making money, just as any business.  They can't afford to maintain outdated software, not to mention all the old hardware (pcs/macs/iphones/ipads/ipods) that they would have to stock pile for testing. 

I'm sure TSGal will test that it will open for you when she gets a chance (if she has that device to test it with).  I would really consider moving to filemaker and filemaker go.   A product that is being supported and updated.

• 10. Re: Use of mobile Apps under iOS 8
                            TSGal

mayer mayer:

Thank you for your post.

Bento for iPad 1.1.6 will not work/launch on iOS 8 (nor iOS 7).

If you have important data in Bento for iPad 1.1.6, let me know, and I'll work with you to retrieve the data.

TSGal
                            FileMaker, Inc.