5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2012 7:04 PM by GabrielGrullon

Use Server to create and email PDF..?

abinning

Title

Use Server to create and email PDF..?

I appreciate that it is not currently directly supported in Go!, but a key feature of my 'desktop' Filemaker solution is to be able to send PDFs of quotations directly to clients. It seems I'm not alone....

Just thinking outside the box for a moment.... would it be possible to click the same 'email this quote' button on the layout, but instead of running a local script, make this run a routine of some description on the Server (v11, Mac) that creates the PDF and emails it automatically?

• 1. Re: Use Server to create and email PDF..?
          TSGal

tabvstudio:

Thank you for your post.

At this time, FileMaker Go cannot create PDF's.  In addition, it cannot have the Server execute a script to send the PDF.

Please enter this suggestion into our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

Although I could copy your post and paste it into the web form, there are some additional questions that only you can answer.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Use Server to create and email PDF..?
            philmodjunk

It might be possible, however, to create a record in a table that either a server scheduled script or a robot file in filemaker might be able to find and respond to at periodic intervals such as once every hour or so...

• 3. Re: Use Server to create and email PDF..?
              abinning

OK, so this 'robot file' sounds interesting...

Let's just say that I have a copy of Filemaker Pro running on the Server (we have a volume license so now worries there), which has the shared solution open.

If I create a new flag field in the quotations table such that whenever the end-user clicks the "email this quote" button, if he/she is running on Go! (easily identifiable via script) this flag field is modified, and the usual create PDF and email part of the script doesn't run.

Then, I can have a script trigger setup which creates the PDF and emails it automatically upon modification of this flag field? (Naturally this script would only run if the user was the 'server' so that every client machine didn't send the quote!!)

Is there any reason why this wouldn't work??

• 4. Re: Use Server to create and email PDF..?
                philmodjunk

Actually, I was thinking of a script that:

Finds all records "flagged" in some manner for this PDF and Email process.
                Loops through them generating PDF's and sending the emails -- clearing the flag so they aren't set again.
                A robot file using a copy of filemaker Pro could be either left running on a client computer or could be started every morning and would use Install ON Timer or other type of looping script to find and process the emails at regular intervals.

Instead of flagging records, you might even need to load a table of such "requests" and then delete ( or flag as "processed") them when done.

• 5. Re: Use Server to create and email PDF..?
                  GabrielGrullon
                   The best option I found is using ScriptFire, from Dacons...thru this, you can trigger any script each hour, minutes or less, and run a script looping all records you might need to email. Very easy and cheap.Im working with my solutions since last year and it works like a charm... Gabriel