4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2015 9:54 AM by TSGal

User only sees certain records

jackmac

Title

User only sees certain records

Hi all,

Looks like the rogue posts have stopped.. woohoo!

I have three users; Bill, Bob and Ted. When they log in I only want Bill to see records where the department field = sales. Bob only to records from the accounts department etc. You get the idea.

I have a field on each of the personnel records the three people will view that state the person on the record works in sales, accounts or manufacturing.

What's the easiest way to do this? I've tried several routes but none are very efficient.

I'm using FM 14 Pro Adv

Thanks.. Jackmac

• 1. Re: User only sees certain records
          TSGal

Jack Mac:

Thank you for your post.

In FileMaker Pro 14, pull down the File menu and select Manage -> Security...   Here is where you will create accounts for Bill Bob and Ted that allows the user to view certain layouts (Bob only see Accounting layouts) and records.

What other "routes" have you tried?

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: User only sees certain records
            TSGal

Jack Mac:

I noticed you posted to the FileMaker Go board.  In the future, since your question was about FileMaker Pro (not FileMaker Go), please post to the Using FileMaker Pro board.

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: User only sees certain records
              jackmac

Hi TSGal,

Thanks for the suggestion.  When I posted it was in the middle of the 'erroneous' posts period and I'm fairly sure I posted in the Pro forum but, no matter.  That is my usual port of call rather than here.

The system as it stands uses the same layout for the records. It is just that when say 'Bob' created a record, he will only need to see those records which relate to Accounting staff.  (The database is for a staff-type scenario so the fields are exactly the same for all records which would be viewable, it is just the people in those departments which would need to be seen by Bob etc.)

I have tried using a hidden field for Bob etc so that when they create a record, it assigns 'Bob' into the 'Author' field. I can do a sort on 'Author=Bob' etc.  This becomes problematic if Bob didn't create the record but the person is in Accounting. Likewise if I make it so Bob's records are automatically stamped as 'Accounting', potentially the same problem.

In almost all of the cases, Bob will log in, he will create a record and, when he next logs in I want him to only be able to view records which are 'Department=Accounting'. I'm trying to set the privilege set or similar so that when Bob logs in, it is set to 'Accounting'.

Hope that helps

Jack

• 4. Re: User only sees certain records
                TSGal

Jack Mac:

You can create Text fields with the Auto-Enter options for Creation Account Name and Creation Name.  This will then be put into the field when Bob creates a record.

Somewhere, you will need to have Bob only be part of "Accounting".  If Bob belongs to more than one group, it can get a bit tricky, but you can still use the PatternCount function to see if "Accounting" is part of that entry.  Regardless, you can then either have Bob look at only the records he created, or if Bob belongs to Accounting, then set the records for anyone in Accounting to view.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.