2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2012 11:06 AM by disabled_JackRodgers

Using Filemaker as an Inventory/Stock

Title

Using Filemaker as an Inventory/Stock

Hey I'm new to this. Basically we need some sort of inventory system. There is 5 of us in the group, we have a large stick room full of different types of bottles/bags/filters that we use very often. The idea is for us to be able to go to the stockroom with an iPad and using either the barcode on the item or one we create we will scan the itmes that we are taking out or adding in. The problem is that if we do that, we would still have to come on to the inventory on our computer (Goggle doc or Excel) and edit out the itmes we took. So what we are looking for is if there is something that we can have on the iPad (like the app) that will link to a program on the computer so that when we scan things out it will either remove or add them from the inventory on the computer program. Also we would all need to be able to share the ccount on our iPads so essentially we all have the same inventory and if I scan things out then it is removed from the inventory on their iPad. I'm not sure if this is possible but I have read about programs for the computer that have scanners (we want to use the iPad), and I have found apps but they dont seem to link to a program where when we scan the items and choose to add or remove then it does the same action on the computer. Is it possible to have an App so the iPad can be used to scan things in and out while having it linked to a program on the computer?

Again sorry I am new tot his! Thank you!

• 1. Re: Using Filemaker as an Inventory/Stock

Filemaker is a stand along workhorse and you don't need Google docs or Excel any more if you design your file correctly or find one someone else has designed correctly.

You may first import your Google doc or excel file into Filemaker and then forget it. Use Filemaker for everything.

First you create an item/price list table which will have your barcode info and three calcualted fields, see below.

Then you add a transaction table that is linked to the item file by the barcode field. The transaction table has a minimum of BarCode, Date, Add (number) and Remove (number) fields.

When you add an item, you create a new record and scan the barcode. Enter the number added into the Add field. When removing an item create a new record and add the number removed in the Remove field.

Now you have a chronological record of what happened (much better than any google doc or excel file).

Add the following calculated  fields to your item/price list table:

Total Received = sum(Items::Add)

Total Sold = sum(Items::Remove)

On Hand = Total Received - Total Sold

That's enough to get you sailing in uncharted waters and to raise other questions. Good luck and happy sailing.

• 2. Re: Using Filemaker as an Inventory/Stock

...or just open the Inventory file supplied with Filemaker 12 and study that.

File:New Starter Solution   Inventory.