4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2014 2:30 PM by rgordon

Using Global Fields With FMP Server and FMP Go

productionQC

Title

Using Global Fields With FMP Server and FMP Go

Hello-

I have a database which has a table called field Tests. This table is shared by office staff and field staff using FM GO.  The problem is this.  The office staff changes the value of a Global field in Tests several times throughout the day.  The purpose of this global field to have its value captured anytime someone creates a new record in Tests.  We have created a script that will capture this amount to a variable and then populate it to a new non-global field.  This process works perfectly in the office, but the value of the global field seems not to be captured from FM Go.  It's as if the field testers using FM Go do not have the ability to see the value in the global field and their records, using the same script as in the office, will not capture a value.  How should we deal with this?

Thank you

• 1. Re: Using Global Fields With FMP Server and FMP Go
          TSGal

productionQC:

Once the FileMaker Go users enter information into the Global field, it will be available to that user for that session.  If the customer closes and reopens the file, it will reset itself to the original host value, and the FileMaker Go user will have to re-initialize the Global field.

At what point is the FileMaker Go user losing the value in the global field?

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Using Global Fields With FMP Server and FMP Go
            productionQC

Hello,

It is not the FM Go client that is filling in the global field.  In fact the client on FM Go can not see the field.  Rather it is a "behind the scenes" type scenario.  We have chemical dose rates that change throughout day.  These rates are set by people in the office.  What we want to accomplish is have every field test entered from FM Go to get a "Stamp" per say, of what the current dose rate is as set by the people in the office.  So really what I am doing is attaching a script to the FM Go layout that launches on a Commit Button.  So the user presses Commit and then the script takes the value from the global field set in the office.  This makes sense why it is not working because it is reset everytime a field user logs in.  So how do I deal with this problem if I need to capture an amount set in the office that changes several times a day?

Thanks for your reply ...

• 3. Re: Using Global Fields With FMP Server and FMP Go
              TSGal

productionQC:

Since global storage fields are local, use a non-global field as it will always be up-to-date and others can access.  Just limit the field for the clients to Read Only so they can't change the contents of the field.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Using Global Fields With FMP Server and FMP Go
                rgordon

This is a little more complicated than just not using a global field since a text or number field will only belong to one record.  I would recommend creating a single record table that contains the fields that need to be modified daily.  Then allow the users to preference the field values from this table.  Since the table will only have one record, the end user will always get the correct value.