4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2012 2:57 AM by NathanVeitch

Using Go and FM 12 Server

NathanVeitch

Title

Using Go and FM 12 Server

Hi There,

I need to find out a quick bit of info. We have a client that is hesitant to get server for a number of reasons. We are trying to motivate it properly and there is one thing I need to find out before we put our motivation together.

The worry that I have is that my client is using the program we developed for them on FileMaker Go and after a test run of the program we found out that the fmp12 file for one of the sites ended up being almost 300Mb for the one site. Now there are roughly 1000 sites and although a file per branch should average around 200Mb, it still means that at the end of the day, the total program could be a few TB big. The reason for this is that there are plenty of images that the user needs to take at each site. Now the logical thought would be to setup a Server and have the images stored on the server and not in the database. Then the users can run the program remotely and when they store the images, the images will then be stored on the server instead of their iPads. 

While going over training material for my FM12 exam, I saw something somewhere that said you can use FM Go and remote into the server and use the file, only thing is if the connection is dropped then the user will lose access to the file. Also some of the sites that the users will be at don't have any access to Wi-Fi and the client is going to be purchasing iPad's with only Wi-Fi. So using 3G is not an option and with the sites that don't have Internet access, I was wondering how can I get my program to run on the iPad should they go with a server environment.

Also would it be better to have the file running on the iPad like it is now, and then when they sync with the server, just have a script to run that will update the server copy. Anyway the 2 main worries that I have with remote is t

1. If the user doesn't have Internet access how would they work on the remote file

2. If they do have access and the connection drops, what happens to their file that they are working on.

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Using Go and FM 12 Server
          philmodjunk

Just saw a Demo of GoZync by SeedCode last week. I suggest taking a look at this tool. In the case study they were presenting, traveling inspectors where able to "pull" and "push" data to and from the server using this tool They would pull the data from the server that they needed for the days tasks, collect new data and take pictures, then return to a location with a reasonably good wireless internet connection and synch their data back to the server.

• 2. Re: Using Go and FM 12 Server
            NathanVeitch

Thanx :) I did see a webinar on either GoZync or MirrorSync, and both are brilliant products, it's just that I was wondering if there was a way to do it without the 3rd party software. 

Thanx again :)

• 3. Re: Using Go and FM 12 Server
              TSGal

Nathan Veitch:

Thank you for your posts.

1. If the user doesn't have a 3G or Wi-Fi connection, then you can use iTunes to transfer a copy of the file to the iOS device.

2. If connection drops with any application, you lose access to that file.  If the file is hosted, the file will close in FileMaker Go and lets you know the file has been disconnected.  At this point, you can reconnect, or use a local copy, and when the changes are made, have a script that updates the main file once you get back a connection.

If you want to build the sync module yourself, you will need to use Date fields that have Date Created and Date Modified auto-enter values so you know what records need to be added, updated, etc., and then transfer back and forth.  However, you should consider the excellent recommendation from PhilModJunk, as both GoZync and MirrorSync have been devloped for users to help them save time.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Using Go and FM 12 Server
                NathanVeitch

Hi TSGal,

Thanx for the reply. I was hoping that my client would go with either of the technologies but they are a bit pricey for my client. I will have to try and work out the script to sync the files when the iPads are connected to the net. In the words of Jeremy Clarkson ' ... how hard can it be?' LOL 

Anyway, jokes aside, thanx for the info and you can just imagine that I will more than likely be posting here again shortly with a , please help me, post :D but let me see what I can come up with for my client. You never know they might jsut see the value in the sync software, or I might be grey before the year is out, not sure which one will happen first. :)