3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2010 4:58 PM by LSI-FileMaker-Developer

Using stored (encrypted) passwords to automatically login?

LSI-FileMaker-Developer

Title

Using stored (encrypted) passwords to automatically login?

Hi all,

My solution stores an encrypted password for each employee.  This is used for card swipe logins (where the username + password are gathered from a relationship established by the card swipe) and a clever "masquerade as user" feature that I use sometimes (which is helpful so that I don't ever have to see an employee's password).

Enter FileMaker Go, where a user will quite often be the sole user of their iPhone or iPad, and no one will ever login as someone else.  I've thought about enabling a user preference that allows for an automatic login on a matched device (probably using the MAC address), but that solution relies on a stored password, which is encrypted in my case, and essentially unavailable to FileMaker Go because of the plugin limitation.

I don't really want to store unencrypted user passwords, so then I thought a good idea might be to distribute special opener files that would reside on the local iOS device that would store the username + password, enabling quick logging into the solution.

Has anyone got any better ideas?  Best practices?