7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2017 4:08 PM by kibiz

Using URL Schemes to Connect to Credit Card Swiper on iPad

kibiz

Title

Using URL Schemes to Connect to Credit Card Swiper on iPad

I need to capture the data from a Credit card reader in FileMaker Go for iPad.  Has anyone used the URL Schemes functionality to communicate with any credit card reader app such as Square, or iDynamo to bring cc data into a file running in FileMaker Go?  

Any suggestions or experience with making this work would be most appreciated. 

• 1. Re: Using URL Schemes to Connect to Credit Card Swiper on iPad
          jdornbos

Allen...

Any progress on this? I need to capture drivers license information and am looking for a way to accomplish that with FM Go.

TIA,

Jim

• 2. Re: Using URL Schemes to Connect to Credit Card Swiper on iPad
            kibiz

Hi Jim,

Well, I have done a great deal of research since I posted this message.  Basically, what I have found out, is that FM GO can not directly communicate with a Credit Card reader.  This is also true with a Bar Code Scanner.  it needs to use another iPad app to receive the data from the perpherial device and then pass that data back to Go using the URL scheme.   The Credit Card Reader though, has special requirements, in that Apple requires that the device first be registered.  I don't this requirement applies to Bar code readers.   

So, I have developed a relationship with Magtek which has an iDynamo mag stripe reader for Credit cards.  This reader encryts the data and sends it to a web service through their iPad app.  They provide a SDK in XCode to modify.   So, my current challenge is to take this SDK to develop my own iPad app that will communicate to the Credit card processing company via the web service, and then to pass the authorization code back to my KiPoint POS for iPad app that runs in FileMaker Go.  

I have a team of developers that I am working with to accomplish this.   We have already accomplished the ability to use the Web View to communicate with Authorize.net to process credit cards.  This method works fine, except for the need to manually enter the credit card no.  If, you are interested in this method you can download our demo at http://www.kibizsystems.com/products/product_detail.php?name=KiPoint

HTH

• 3. Re: Using URL Schemes to Connect to Credit Card Swiper on iPad
              carlo.m

Hi Allen,

I'm stuck on something similar. How do you print and open a cash register from GO?

• 4. Re: Using URL Schemes to Connect to Credit Card Swiper on iPad
                kibiz

Hi Carlos,

I have only looked at how this might work, but have not yet actually implemented it.  There are Cash Drawers that can connect to the iPad via Bluetooth that we plan on using.  I am thinking that a URL Scheme using a URL script step will need to be sent to the Drawer to open it. However, I am not sure whether GO is set up to do this, in the same way it works with a wireless printer.   What have you tried so far to get it to work?

• 5. Re: Using URL Schemes to Connect to Credit Card Swiper on iPad

Why not buy a PC slate that runs window 7, Filemaker Pro and all the perifpherals you want to use with no problem. Probably cost less than all the time you are spending...

• 6. Re: Using URL Schemes to Connect to Credit Card Swiper on iPad
                    miraklemax

did you ever develop something totally seamlessly integrated?

• 7. Re: Using URL Schemes to Connect to Credit Card Swiper on iPad
                      kibiz

Hi,

Yes, we have developed several solutions to doing CC processing on the iPad and Desktop.  We have created an iOS app called KiSwipe that works with Magtek swiper that enables you to do encrypted CC processing on the iPad.  KiSwipe enables you to do PCI compliant CC processing with Authorize.Net or Cayan.   We also have integrated with Verifone terminal that can do EMV, NFC pay methods such as Apple Pay, Google Pay, and all credit cards.  I will be a Vendor Session on this topic at DevCon on Wed morning. We also will a booth that you can stop by.  Or, take a look at our website at www.kibizsystems.com/kipoint  for more info.