5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2014 6:48 AM by TSGal

value list no longer auto-switches to keyboard in FM Go 13.0.5

ericpsmith

Title

value list no longer auto-switches to keyboard in FM Go 13.0.5

Hi Folks,

I'm running FileMaker Go 13.0.5 on iPhone 5S with iOS 7.1.2. 

In the most recent FM Go prior to 13.0.5, tapping a text field with a value list attached would bring up the value list, and tapping in same field a second time would place insertion point in text, as well as switch from value list to keyboard. 

In FM Go 13.0.5, the second tap places insertion point, but doesn't switch value list to keyboard. Switching manually from value list to keyboard works, but requires a third tap. 

Extra tap doesn't sound like much, except that I'm editing these text fields many times a day, making this a noticeable slowdown in my workflow. 

Issue can be seen in Assets sample database bundled with FM Go. Tap on an asset name, tap on Review condition, tap on location field, and then tap on location field again. 

Would really prefer to revert to previous behavior.

Eric

• 1. Re: value list no longer auto-switches to keyboard in FM Go 13.0.5
          TSGal

Eric Smith:

Thank you for your post.

I am running FileMaker Go 13.0v5 on an iPad with iOS 8.  When I first tap a field formatted as a drop-down list, the keyboard appears with the value list.  When I tap-hold the second time, the keyboard remains, the value list remains, and the insertion point appears, but it does leave a selection of text highlighted.  Unlike a Text field formatted as an Edit box, I cannot place the insertion point without selecting a word.  Like you, I have to tap the drop-down Text field a third time to place the insertion point at a desired location.

I no longer have an iOS device with FileMaker Go 13.0v4 or earlier.  I have sent your post along with my comments to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: value list no longer auto-switches to keyboard in FM Go 13.0.5
            ericpsmith

Hi TSGal,

Thank you for looking into this, and for passing it along to the appropriate people. 

To be clear about my own experience, I'm only using taps (no tap-holds).

Also, when I refer to a third tap to switch from value list to keyboard, that tap is on the built-in control along the top edge of value list specifically meant for this. No matter how many times I tap on text in field (with suitable pauses between each tap), the value list never automatically switches to keyboard on the iPhone in this version of FM Go. 

For an alternate workflow, I can tap on the field, and then tap on that built-in control as second tap, but that leaves all the text in field selected, which feels risky for accidental deletion. This is why I currently use a second tap somewhere in the middle of text in field to place insertion point before using built-in control to switch from value list to iPhone keyboard. (Oddly, placing insertion point at end of text in field and then switching from value list to keyboard still results in all field text selected.)

I did try some things on my iPad too. I don't clearly remember what the previous behavior was on that device, but it would likewise be nice if a second tap in text field would close value list there too. 

Thank you again for your help with this.

Eric

• 3. Re: value list no longer auto-switches to keyboard in FM Go 13.0.5
              TSGal

Eric Smith:

I noticed that if the entire field is displayed when the drop-down list appears, I can tap once in the field to bring up the keyboard, and then tap-hold to place the insertion point.  A third-tap is only required if I am not viewing the entire field, or the drop-down list overlaps the field.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: value list no longer auto-switches to keyboard in FM Go 13.0.5
                ericpsmith

Hi TSGal,

Any word from the development team on what they make of this or how they might respond?

Closing value list on second tap in FM Go would make it consistent with FM Pro, as it was before the 13.0.5 update.

This is especially important on the iPhone, where the value list overlays the keyboard. 

Eric

• 5. Re: value list no longer auto-switches to keyboard in FM Go 13.0.5
                  TSGal

Eric Smith:

Testing was able to reproduce the issue.  Although no changes were made to iOS text insertion, Development confirmed the newest version of Xcode used to build FileMaker Go 13.0v5 is the cause.  This has been reported to Apple.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.