13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2013 4:34 PM by philmodjunk

Video Loading/Playback issues

jackien

Title

Video Loading/Playback issues

I have a rather large database, with over 11k entries. I'd say a couple hudred of those entries have video files on them. They're small files only about 500KB. 

I'm having some playback issues when I put the database onto an iPad.

My boss is saying that the video's weren't found, and she had to restart the iPad to get the videos to work.

I used a different iPad and loaded the same database on it, and had no problems playing the videos.

What would cause this to happen? My boss can't keep restarting the database/iPad to get the videos to work.

Edit: I don't have 'store reference' checked, or whatever it is, so that it only stores a reference and not the file. 

I didn't have this problem a few days ago/at the beginning of the week.

• 1. Re: Video Loading/Playback issues
          philmodjunk

Depending on the insertion method used, (There are two that can insert a video), "store a reference" may be the automatically selected storage option with no option to change that option.

How where the movie files inserted into the container fields?

• 2. Re: Video Loading/Playback issues
            jackien

I had been going to insert QuickTime when I first started putting in videos. But I had a large quantity that I wanted to put in quickly, so I dragged and dropped them into the database. Could dragging/dropping have something to do with it?

Although I was unable to replicate the problem on my iPad, I was able to view the videos fine on the iPad, including ones I had dragged and dropped into filemaker.

• 3. Re: Video Loading/Playback issues
              philmodjunk

I'm not sure what you'll get with drag and drop (all other file types will embed with drag and drop so I would guess that is the case with video files) but Insert Quicktime always inserts a file reference instead of embedding the file.

• 4. Re: Video Loading/Playback issues
                jackien

Drag and Drop seems to work fine.

I didn't know that Insert>Quicktime inserted a file reference. Can't you uncheck that checkbox somewhere?

I'm just not sure why it works on one iPad and not the other. What would cause the files to say 'not found' on one vs. the other?

• 5. Re: Video Loading/Playback issues
                  TSGal

Jackie Norstrom:

Thank you for your posts.

If it works on one iPad but not another, can you verify that both iPads are accessing the file remotely?  If the iPad downloaded the file locally, and the movie file is referenced, then it would be unable to access the movie file since it is being referenced on the host machine where the database file was copied from.

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Video Loading/Playback issues
                    jackien

The iPad I watched the videos on would be local I assume. I added the file to FMGO through iTunes, and the iPad is still connected to the computer.

My boss, who is having the problem is away from the office, but she too added the file to FMGO through iTunes.

This problem just started today, as on Monday the videos were working fine.

• 7. Re: Video Loading/Playback issues
                      TSGal

Jackie Norstrom:

Just to be clear, when you say "the iPad is still connected to the computer", do you mean FileMaker Go is connected to the host file, or is it physically connected to the computer?  If the latter, the cable connection is purely for copying files and does not act as a network cable.  If the file is copied to the iPad and is being accessed locally, that is quite different than being connected via Wi-Fi (or 3g) to the hosted FileMaker Pro file.

Can you clarify?

TSGal
                           FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Video Loading/Playback issues
                        jackien

Sure! It's both, the iPad is still connected to the computer with a cable. And I'm assuming its being accessed locally though because the file is on the iPad, not being hosted anywhere or access via wifi.

• 9. Re: Video Loading/Playback issues
                          TSGal

Jackie Norstrom:

If the file is local, and if the file has images that are referenced, then you will not be able to see the files that are referenced on the host machine.  The cable is only used for copying files.  It does not act as a network connection.

TSGal
                               FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Video Loading/Playback issues
                            jackien

The images shouldn't be referenced, I unchecked that box.

My boss didn't have any problems putting the file on FMGO and playing the videos a few days ago.

• 11. Re: Video Loading/Playback issues
                              TSGal

Jackie Norstrom:

So what has changed?  If you want, send me a copy of the file, and I'll look at it here.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
                                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: Video Loading/Playback issues
                                jackien

Thanks.

The only thing thats changed is that File Maker got updated to support OS Mavericks. But that shouldn't affect FMGO.

• 13. Re: Video Loading/Playback issues
                                  philmodjunk

What I've been wondering is if the difference is between one record having an embedded video and another that has an inserted reference. On day one you attempt to play the video on a record with an embedded copy and all is well. On day two, you go to a different record where the video was mistakenly inserted as a reference (and this is the only option for Insert QuickTime) and the video can't be played...