5 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2013 7:44 AM by tnoll@sonic.net

Videos and sound won't import from 12 to Go

tnoll@sonic.net

Title

Videos and sound won't import from 12 to Go

I am able to get the jpgs and pdfs in my containers onto Go but the sound files and videos are file not found on iPad. I have re-inserted them into the containers in the desktop db just in case and have been testing Go with a found set of 99 records, three of which are .mov 4.5 mb, m4a 23.6 mb and mp4 159.9 mb. I was told the only size limitation of the db is storage on the device and 22,000k in a scrolling text box. Kind of at a loss why they won't get on there. They play fine on the desktop. Any ideas appreciated.    

• 1. Re: Videos and sound won't import from 12 to Go
          tnoll@sonic.net

I don't know how importing audio and video to Go is supposed to work (it didn't when I saved my test db as a self-contained file) but I got the sound and video into the containers on Go by loading them as files into the documents area of Go via iTunes, then inserting them inside of Go by selecting the empty containers and using the 'replace' pop-up. Why replace came up when the container had a file not found in it I don't know, but whatever works. This is acceptible since I don't have that many such files and need to get on with it. If anyone knows the right way or why they might not save in the self-contained file, I'd be interested.

• 2. Re: Videos and sound won't import from 12 to Go
            TSGal

Terrie Noll:

Thank you for your posts.

If the files are embedded in the Container field, then they will transfer to FileMaker Go.  If they are referenced, then it will not transfer.

Also, make sure the Container field is set for Interactive so the movies/sounds will play on the iOS device.

I just embedded a 77 MB MPEG-4 movie file into an Interactive Container field, and when opened in FileMaker Go, the movie played.

Although you have found an indirect workaround, let me know if you continue to have difficulty.

TSGal
                 FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Videos and sound won't import from 12 to Go
              tnoll@sonic.net

I have the container checked as interactive content. If it isn't, the sound and video files are file not found in Go. The containers are interactive on the desktop but in Go any sound or video file in a container shows a file icon, not a preview or controls, and pdfs, like the sound and video files, have to be selected and opened by 'View' from the popup menu to become interactive. The pdfs do show a preview though. 

I had to reimport every video and audio file into the database via the 'insert' menu command after changing the container field properties to 'interactive content.'  Doing that made all audio and videos 'file not found' in Go, I believe even after saving the db as self-contained (which I think it already was but I saved a copy as self-contained and those containers became file not found after making the field properties interactive. As in my first post above, I have a desktop version of the db and an iPad version due to all 1100 of the desktop containers being inserted as reference and not being able to write a correcting script. I copied the db, made my iPad layouts in it and used import/update existing to update the containers so I could save a self-contained copy but the audio and video files had to be inserted from within Go by transferring the files in from iTunes., After checking interactive content, the desktop db wouldn't allow inserting any .mov audio files that formerly worked, I had to change the format or they were grayed out on insert/audio. 

What is the proper procedure for inserting audio and video and pdf files into the container on the desktop to make them work when the db is put into Go? I used insert without store as reference checked. How does one know those files are embedded? I saved a self-contained copy after that and audio and video were file not found. Are these supposed to show a preview or controls in Go? Seems like I recall that but I had to update some fields in my Go version (did not update containers, just text) and then the audio/video files wouldn't transfer (not sure they ever did). Can I save the db as self contained, then use import/update existing records on the desktop to reimport to the containers to make them interactive in Go? I'm assuming they should show controls on the container in Go. It shouldn't be this difficult . . .

Thanks,

Terrie 

• 4. Re: Videos and sound won't import from 12 to Go
                TSGal

Terrie Noll:

If you inserted the file without checking the box "Store only a reference to the file", then the file is embedded in the database file.  When you transfer the database file to the iOS device, the embedded media content is also copied.

iOS does not behave the same as Mac OS X or Windows.  For Audio/Video files, there are no controls displayed in the Container field.  You have to tap the Media field and tap "Play".

TSGal
                     FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Videos and sound won't import from 12 to Go
                  tnoll@sonic.net

Thanks. That clears it up for me. I guess I did it right. I appreciate the help.

Terrie