4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2013 3:27 PM by cresal

viewing all field content without allowing changes?

cresal

Title

viewing all field content without allowing changes?

I have a list of records in FM Go, users can select one of the records and use that information to fill in a different form. However, in FM Go the layout and text size is such that you can't see all (or even most) of the description field's contents until selecting and moving on. This is a large list and users need to be able to see which record they are selecting, but I do not want to give them the ability to change the text in any of these records. Is there a way to allow a user to enter a field (and therefore browse the contents) without allowing changes? Admin users *can* change the text via a different layout, so I don't want to block out the fields entirely. I just want users to be able to see it all! Suggestions? I'd rather not have to make a separate layout just for viewing these details...

• 1. Re: viewing all field content without allowing changes?
          TSGal

Rin Scherrer:

Thank you for your post.

Create an account that only allows View Only for those fields.  That is, once users login to the file, they can go to a layout and view the information, but not make any changes.  You may also want to create a layout that is optimized for the iPad and/or iPhone.  Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: viewing all field content without allowing changes?
            cresal

The accounts are already set with the various priviladges. And that doesn't solve the problem of admin users being able to alter the field in one layout and not alter it in another one. :\

This whole problem arose because I was trying to make a layout for the iPad. In the fmp layout there is plenty of space to make the field large enough to see all the description text, but on the ipad there isn't as much space. currently i have the field set such that field entry is not allowed in browse mode, but of course that means that a field can't be selected (and therefore all the contents viewed). is there maybe a way to ....i don't know, make a drop down window that includes all the text from that field so that users can see the whole description?

• 3. Re: viewing all field content without allowing changes?
              TSGal

Rin Scherrer:

Admin users will all have access to fields.  You may want to make those users non-Admin users, but give them almost all the privileges of an Admin user.  Specifically, set the access for Records: "Create, edit, and delete in all tables", and Layouts with Custom privileges.  Specifically, set the desired Layout to be View only, and the records in that layout to be view only.  This will allow users to access the data, but unable to change it.  The users can then copy the information (provided the Available menu commands is set to "All"), and paste the information in another Layout (assuming they have access to the field and layout).

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: viewing all field content without allowing changes?
                cresal

ah ha! that led me in the right direction. my "admin" group was already a privledge set and not the basic full access set, so i was able to change it in there. i didn't realize you could set specific layouts access for specific sets! thank you!