6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2010 4:18 PM by mashikoboy

Viewing Full Sized Picture Files in Container Fields

mashikoboy

Title

Viewing Full Sized Picture Files in Container Fields

I have added a container field to one of my databases, and inserted a photo image into the field in one record so far.

I am wondering if there is a way to open the file (embedded in a container field) in, say for example, Apple's Preview, so as to see the file in it's original size.

So far, I have tried clicking on the image in the field in the Table view, but nothing happened.  Neither can I find anything in the menu bar to facilitate viewing the image full size.

Many thanks for any advice that comes my way.

• 1. Re: Viewing Full Sized Picture Files in Container Fields
          TSGal

mashikoboy:

Thank you for your post.

In FileMaker Go, when you click inside a Container field, the options "Choose from Library", "Open" and "Email" appears.  If you select "Open", the image will display in full size.

Container fields cannot be accessed from Preview on the mobile device.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Viewing Full Sized Picture Files in Container Fields
            mashikoboy

TSGal, thanks for the advice!

But when I click inside the container field as you recommended, nothing happens.  I have had this result consistently for days.  

However, if I right click on the field, the options for copy/cut/paste etc. do appear.

Do you have any idea why I'm having this problem?

• 3. Re: Viewing Full Sized Picture Files in Container Fields
              TSGal

mashikoboy:

I'm not sure how you are right-clicking a Container field in FileMaker Go, unless you have some sort of mouse interface to your iPad (or highly unlikely, iPhone).  Even with the Sample Inventory file, if I tap the picture field, I get options to "Choose From Library, Open and Email.  Do you have any privileges set up for the Container field?

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Viewing Full Sized Picture Files in Container Fields
                mashikoboy

Perhaps I should backtrack a bit, to explain that I'm using an iMac (Snow Leopard)/wireless mouse, and the Filemaker version is Pro11.

I don't have any privileges set up for the Container field.

I even tried using a different mouse, to no avail.  'Same result!

The way I right click on the field is to move the curser to the cell, then right click on my mouse.

'Quite a mystery we have here!

• 5. Re: Viewing Full Sized Picture Files in Container Fields
                  TSGal

mashikoboy:

Thanks for the clarification.  In the future, please post to the Using FileMaker Pro board; not the FileMaker Go board, as this thread would have been answered correctly the first time.

If a file is embedded in a Container field, you will have to export the contents and then double-click the file to have it display in Preview.  FileMaker Pro does not have the ability to display the contents of a file in Preview.  You can create a separate layout and size the Container field to be much larger so the contents can display larger.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Viewing Full Sized Picture Files in Container Fields
                    mashikoboy

'Sorry for the misplaced post, TSGal!  I'm relatively new to FM, so I'm still learning the most basic stuff.

Having Filemaker is a great help to me, and I very much appreciate the assistance that has been afforded to me through the forums.

- mashikoboy