9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2014 7:32 AM by ElliotChocron

Viewing Inserted PDFs on Filemaker Go

ElliotChocron

Title

Viewing Inserted PDFs on Filemaker Go

I am attempting to view a record in Filemaker Go that has a PDF file inserted into a container field (not as a reference). All I see is the icon and clicking it and selecting "View" results in an error (Invalid Hostname).

I am able to successfully view the PDF when connecting from Filemaker Pro 13 on a laptop.

The file both (tablet and PC) are accessing is on a server running Filemaker Server 13 (I have only just installed the server). If I email the file to the tablet, Filemaker Go can view the PDF no problem.

Any suggestions?

Elliot

• 1. Re: Viewing Inserted PDFs on Filemaker Go
          TSGal

Elliot Chocron:

Thank you for your post.

Is the Container field set for Interactive content?  Or, was the PDF file inserted as a File?

What version of FileMaker Server 13 are you using?  What is the operating system of the FileMaker Server 13 machine?

Does this issue occur with all files or just this one file?

Create a file in FileMaker Pro 13 with a Container field, insert a PDF file, set the file for Network Sharing, and then access the file via FileMaker Go 13.  Are you able to view the PDF file in the Container field?  If so, then upload the file to FileMaker Server 13.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Viewing Inserted PDFs on Filemaker Go
            ElliotChocron

Thanks for the reply, TSGal.

Here are answers to your questions:

•           The container field is set for interactive content and the file was inserted using Insert File script step.
            •      
            •           I'm currently running FM Server version 13.03.300.
            •      
            •           The server is running on Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard
            •      
            •           This happens with more than one file
            •      
            •           I shared my local file and was able to access it from FM Go 13 as you suggested. At first it did not work until I realized I was using Microsoft SkyDrive - I moved the file to my local machine and it worked. I then uploaded the file to the server and had the same problem.

Elliot

• 3. Re: Viewing Inserted PDFs on Filemaker Go
              TSGal

Elliot Chocron:

Thank you the information.

Since you are able to access the file on your laptop and not FileMaker Server, make sure you have the necessary ports open.  Since FileMaker Go is able to access the database file via FileMaker Server, port 5003 is open.  Make sure you also open ports 80 and 443.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Viewing Inserted PDFs on Filemaker Go
                rgordon

Try using Insert PDF instead of Insert File.  I seem to recall FMGO having trouble displaying a PDF if Insert File is used instead of Insert PDF.

• 5. Re: Viewing Inserted PDFs on Filemaker Go
                  philmodjunk

No version of FileMaker Pro or GO can display the contents of the PDF in a container field (whether or not it is interactive) if Insert File is used to insert the PDF. That would require Insert PDF or (on Macs I am told), Insert Picture.

With Insert File, you'll see a file icon in the container field. This is what is reported here and this is normal behavior for FileMaker Pro and Go. But it would not explain being able to see the files in the container field in FileMaker Pro--that strongly suggests that Insert File was NOT used to insert a PDF in every case here.

• 6. Re: Viewing Inserted PDFs on Filemaker Go
                    rgordon

If you use Insert PDF a container field in go will display the 1st page if the PDF is only 1 page.  If it is multiple pages you will see the file icon.

• 7. Re: Viewing Inserted PDFs on Filemaker Go
                      philmodjunk

Now that's an interesting (and not known by me) difference between GO and Pro that fully matches with the observations posted in the first post of this thread...

• 8. Re: Viewing Inserted PDFs on Filemaker Go
                        ElliotChocron

Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm learning quite a bit from the discussion. I have used Insert File for the PDFs. I'm using a local copy of the database on FM Go and when I view the container I can see the first page of the PDF as noted. If I click on the image I get an option to view the entire PDF.

• 9. Re: Viewing Inserted PDFs on Filemaker Go
                          ElliotChocron

Addendum: In the original post I tried to access the server directly but I've moved away from that given all the discussion. We're new using an offline approach with a local copy running on FM Go. That seems to resolve the issues above, as well as others.

Thanks again,

Elliot Chocron