3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2011 1:42 PM by TSGal

Voice Dictation with iPhone 4S and FileMaker Go

MikeLovell

Title

Voice Dictation with iPhone 4S and FileMaker Go

The Intermediate Tip in the tech support email on 19 October said that you can dictate to the iPhone 4s with Filemaker Go and the recording will be converted to text at the conclusion of the recording.

I am a small publisher and I have a frequent situation where an author will dictate for about 40-45 minutes. I use an Olympus recorder to record the dictation and then burn the file to CD and sent it to a transcription service where a typist transcribes the recording to text, which is then sent back to the originator for editing.

My question is whether the feature on the iPhone 4s with Filemaker GO would be suitable for this application and whether it would be able to handle about 40 minutes of voice recording.

Thanks

Mike

• 1. Re: Voice Dictation with iPhone 4S and FileMaker Go
          TSGal

Mike Lovell:

Thank you for your post.

FileMaker Go will use the voice to text conversion.  However, I know iOS has a limiation of 40 minutes recording at one time, and with the text conversion, this may be require a little less time.  The bottom line is that you may run out of memory while dictating around 40 minutes, so I would recommend splitting it up to 25 minutes blocks.  That is, record for 25 minutes, find a natural place to break, and then create a second record and perform the last half of the dictation.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Voice Dictation with iPhone 4S and FileMaker Go
            MikeLovell

TSGal - Thank you for your reply - very helpful.

Can you tell me how I do the setup in FilemakerGo to make use of the text conversion feature.

Thanks

Mike

• 3. Re: Voice Dictation with iPhone 4S and FileMaker Go
              TSGal

Mike Lovell:

When you edit a Text field, the keyboard is then displayed.  To the left of the space bar, there is an icon of a microphone.  Click on the microphone icon, start speaking, and tap "Done".  Siri will think for a couple of seconds, and then display the text in the field.

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.