6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2011 9:34 AM by TSGal

Web viewer always displays mobile site

MikeHarshbarger

Title

Web viewer always displays mobile site

I am trying to get Filemaker Go display Mapquest's normal site.  If I create a Web viewer object and put in the mapquest site (www.mapquest.com), it always takes me to the mobile site and I want to go to the normal site.  I know it's not mapquest that is doing it, because I can go into Safari on my iPad and type www.mapquest.com and it takes me to the regular site.  I tried using Set web viewer, and I get the same result.  Filemaker Go is prefixing my URL will "m", changing wwww.mapquest.com to m.mapquest.com.  I need ideas on what to try to get around Filemaker Go insisting on forcing me to a mobile site.

I found out that Filemaker was doing this by using Open URL and putting in http://www.mapquest.com, then selecting Open in Safari, and Safari shows m.mapquest.com on the URL line.

• 1. Re: Web viewer always displays mobile site
          TSGal

Mike Harshbarger:

Thank you for your post.

This is not a FileMaker Go issue.  Launch Safari and enter http://www.mapquest.com.  Mapquest is capturning the type of device and you are then redirected to m.mapquest.com.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Web viewer always displays mobile site
            MikeHarshbarger

If you read my original post, I have tried going to www.mapquest.com from Safari, and I get the full website.  I only get the mobile site if I go to m.mapquest.com.  It's possible that mapquest has a cookie that it uses to determine that I want the full website, but why wouldn't it use it if I am using the web viewer.  So again, what can I do to get to the full site for mapquest?  The web viewer definitely behaves differently than Safari does.  And mapquest doesn't offer a "Go to full site" link on their mobile page.  I am going to address that with them.

• 3. Re: Web viewer always displays mobile site
              TSGal

Mike Harshbarger:

My apologies, as I am also able to replicate the issue.

The Web Viewer is using Apple's Web Kit, and it would seem logical that it work similarly to Safari.  However, the Web Kit is not a fully functional browser.

Interestingly, it appears I can only make this fail for MapQuest, as all other web sites that I tried display appropriately.  It is possible that MapQuest is making a call that is unsupported by the Web Kit, and therefore it is being recognized by MapQuest as an iPhone/iPod device and redirecting to m.mapquest.com.

I have sent this information to our Development and Testing departments for review and feedback.  When I hear back from them, I will let you know.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Web viewer always displays mobile site
                MikeHarshbarger
                Here is the response I received from Mapquest: Subject Submitted from Web - 06/16/2011 05:26 PM    Discussion Thread  Response Via Email (Rich (MapQuest Customer Service))     06/21/2011 09:31 AM Hello, Thank you for contacting MapQuest support. We will automatically detect your device and give you either the mobile version or the full computer version. For iPads, we do give the complete website, so please try to go to: http://www.mapquest.com Please let us know if you still get routed to m.mapquest.com. Thanks! Best regards,   [---001:000601:60810---]
                • 5. Re: Web viewer always displays mobile site
                  TSGal

Mike Harshbarger:

I'm just confirming this answer from MapQuest is in response to the Web Kit and not a browser.  Correct?

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Web viewer always displays mobile site
                    TSGal

Mike Harshbarger:

We have discovered that using the free app "WebPresenter" gives the exact same result; the mobile site of MapQuest on the iPad, and WebPresenter does use the Web Kit.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.