5 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2015 1:35 PM by schamblee

What is up with .usr file extensions in Runtimes ?

rouelf_1

Title

What is up with .usr file extensions in Runtimes ?

Have always used .fmpur as the file extension with runtimes, because it shows up as the default extension.

Decided to start using .usr as the fire extension with Runtimes, but when .usr files are transferred to iOS they show up as Other Documents in the Device panel.

Since Filemaker has registered this extension, expected that files using the .usr extension would show up as Filemaker documents in the Device panel. The files with .usr extensions do open properly in iOS. But it would have been nice if they showed up as proper Filemaker documents. Guess might go back to using .fmpur, unless there is some advantage not to, if anyone knows, let me know.

Thanks

• 1. Re: What is up with .usr file extensions in Runtimes ?
          rouelf_1

More rambling on this. 

Just plain annoying.

Creating runtimes, if the extension is left as the default, “.fmpur”, the proper icon is given to the database, and the proper icon is given to the named runtime, “.app”. But in OS X, the default application is automatically named as Runtime.app (default), which does not exist, as far as I can tell. If you try opening the database by double clicking it, it gives a popup about needing a DEBUG file. To open the database you must use the named runtime app, what ever name you have given it.

Fine, but in reading about naming runtimes, it states that one can use the “.usr” extension. But if you use it that, or any other 3 letter extension, the database created does not have the proper icon. However, opening it by double clicking it, it opens using your named runtimes app, because it is automatically set as the default app to open it.

Goofy, goofy, … guess I don’t understand and instructions are confusing !!!

• 2. Re: What is up with .usr file extensions in Runtimes ?
            schamblee

There is really no advantage to changing the file extension.   The file will still open in FM with any extension.   FMGo is the runtime for the database on a ios device.    FM security would have to be setup to keep the user from viewing information in FM.

FMI would have to answer why the files get put where and why, but I believe that falls under the category of confidential information.      

• 3. Re: What is up with .usr file extensions in Runtimes ?
              rouelf_1

Stacy, thanks, except that when the default extension, "fmpur", is used the database will have the correct icon, and other extensions don't, they get a blank icon. As far as I can tell the instructions don't say one should use the default "fmpur" extension so that the database gets the proper icon when the runtime is created.

• 4. Re: What is up with .usr file extensions in Runtimes ?
                schamblee

fmpur is the standard extension given for runtimes so I'm sure that is the reason it works as expected.   The runtime creation will let you use several different extensions.  It may have been an oversight of FMI when creating FMGo.  FMI had said that the Runtime was being deprecated, so that might be why FMI over looked that in FMGo. 

• 5. Re: What is up with .usr file extensions in Runtimes ?
                  schamblee

You can change icons for the launch center in FM14. I have not tested if the icon is carried over to FMGo and or with the runtime.  Select File, File Options, Icon tab, then select the desired icon. 

If this icon does not show up as the icon in FMGo then I would "Report an Issue".