5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2010 8:51 PM by JamesRoland

[SOLVED] WiFI connection quit working

JamesRoland

Title

[SOLVED] WiFI connection quit working

Howdy,

The set up:

PC:Full Version FMP11.0v2/Win7 Home Premium

Brand new iPod Touch (32GB)/ FileMaker GO-iPod (FMP-G)

1) Installed FMP-G on the Touch, no probs

2) Set up new host in FMP-G, no probs, there were the FMP files I had set FMP Network Sharing "On" and with the IP address indicated

3) Worked like a chram! Typical Apple! ... it just worked! :)

...then.. had to restart the PC for another reason, and from that point on, I can no longer connect via WiFI as I had initially

Troubleshooting:

1) removed and reinstalled FMP-G on the Touch

2) put on my glasses and verified the correct IP address in FMP Network sharing matched what I had in Host :)

3) added a new host, same credentials

4) different PC (Win XP/ samve version of FMP)

5) Note: the sample applicatition that ships with FMP-G works just fine so it's leading me to believe it is network related

6) a few "cold-boots" of the PC

Would really like to get this working again ASAP so any guidance/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
      Lyle

• 1. Re: [SOLVED] WiFI connection quit working
          TSGal

Lyle:

Thank you for your post.

On your Windows 7 machine, launch FileMaker Pro 11 and open the database file you are trying to host.  Pull down the File menu and select Sharing -> FileMaker Network...   Turn on Network Sharing and write down the TCP/IP Address that is displayed.  In the bottom left quadrant, under Currently open files, select the database file, and on the right side, make sure the Network access is set to either All users or Specify users by privilege set.

Now, launch FileMaker Go.  Look under "Remote Files and Hosts" and make sure the IP Address of the Windows 7 machine is showing.  If not, then add it.  Once you select it, the file should now display.  If no files show or it says the host cannot be found, double check your Wi-Fi network on the iPod touch and make sure the name matches the Wi-Fi network on the Windows 7 machine.

Please keep me posted.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: [SOLVED] WiFI connection quit working
            JamesRoland

Thanks TSGal -

... but that was exactly what I had initially done, and as mentioned, it worked perfectly "out-of-the-box", as expected. However, for some reason, it ceased to function and I have not been able to re-connect using the exact method previously employed (and as you noted). This is what has me "stumped" :)

FMP-G is working as the file works as intended when it is transferred via iTunes to the iTouch. But of course, the dynamic functionality, and more "importantly, the "wow factor" is missing that way :)

Cheers!
            Lyle

• 3. Re: [SOLVED] WiFI connection quit working
              TSGal

James Roland:

Do you know if a Firewall was turned on for the Windows 7 machine?  This would stop FileMaker Go from connecting to the Windows 7 machine; even if you had the correct IP Address.  Are any ports blocked through Wi-Fi on the Windows 7 machine?  When you tap the host in FileMaker Go, does it display "Waiting fro response" followed later by "no files available"?  This would mean FileMaker Go cannot access that IP Address.

Please continue to keep me updated.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: [SOLVED] WiFI connection quit working
                JamesRoland

Yes, this is the response:

"Waiting for response" followed later by "no files available"

No, there are no Firewalls active. As mentioned, it was working as it should, then just quit and I cannot recall having changed any settings. All that I did was shut down the PC and start from "cold" (that is, not a Restart). After that, I was unable to connect using the same method that was initially successful; same WiFi connection, IP address, computer ... the works :)

Cheers!

Lyle

• 5. Re: [SOLVED] WiFI connection quit working
                  JamesRoland

[UPDATE]

TSGal and others who may have had the same issue -

Got is going again as it should be :)

Solution: completely uninstalled FileMaker Pro 11v2 and reinstalled. Now everthing is working just tickity-boo! :) Thanks for all your assistance :)

My hunch is that FMP got shutdown incorrectly when I shutdown the computer (can't say for sure if I shutdown FMP first or not, but I am quite certain that I hadn't and that should be a good "warning" to others not to do so :) )

Cheers!
                  Lyle