1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 19, 2009 1:54 PM by TSGal

"Admin Server Connection Error: An Unknown Error Has Occurred"

justinthg

Title

"Admin Server Connection Error: An Unknown Error Has Occurred"

Your post

Every few days, I will be unable to connect to our server (Mac OS X Server 10.5.6, FM Server 10.0.1.64) - and we will lose all WPE connections as well. Occasionally I will be able to restart WPE from the command line, but that works less than 50% of the time.

When this happens, my only option seems to be to reboot the server - without closing the databases! Everything works OK for a few days, and then I get this problem again.

Help!

Some more details on the server setup:

XServe

2 x 2.26GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

6GB RAM

Tons of HD space

OS X 10.5.6 Server 

FM Server 10.0.1.64 

• 1. Re: "Admin Server Connection Error: An Unknown Error Has Occurred"
          TSGal

justinthg:

Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately, it is difficult to determine what is causing the problem, but here are some steps that may help you in the short run.

Launch Terminal (under Applications->Utilities) and enter the following commands:

fmsadmin close    (this will close all of your database files)

fmsadmin stop server

fmsadmin start server

----------

When you lose connection to the server, is it just your web connections?  That is, can other FileMaker users still open the database files?  I'm trying to determine if just the web publishing engine has stopped or all of FileMaker Server.

Tomcat is used to communicate between the server and web publishing engine, so the key may be in those log files.  They are located at:

FileMaker Server -> Admin -> admin-master-tomcat -> logs

Any other information you can provide may be helpful in narrowing down the possible causes.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.