2 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2014 11:59 AM by lordhellfire

"database name" is defined to require a value, but it is not available on this layout.

garryh24

Title

"database name" is defined to require a value, but it is not available on this layout.

Your post

Hello,

I am getting an error message when users try to create a new record that states (database name) "gpublication" is defined to require a value, but it is not available on this layout.  Use another layout to assign a value to this field.  The users are using filemaker 9 & 10 and the server is filemaker 9 server.  The clients are using Windows XP SP3 and the server is Windows 2003 server.  I am new to filemaker and do not have any experience so I am sorry I cannot provide any more information.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank You.

• 1. Re: "database name" is defined to require a value, but it is not available on this layout.
          philmodjunk

Open Manage | Database | FIelds

Find that field, gpublication, and double click it's field definition.

Click the validation tab

Clear the "not empty" check box

That clears the error, but you may need to investigate why this field can't be empty.

Fields with a g at the front are often set by the developer to be a global field. Global fields behave differently when the file is hosted over a network.

See this article for more on the subject:

http://filemaker.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5895

• 2. Re: "database name" is defined to require a value, but it is not available on this layout.
            lordhellfire

I had a similar issue and found the problem, at least what it was in my database:
            http://forums.filemaker.com/comment/291300

Basically check that the next auto assigned ID in the portal ID record is higher than the record with the highest ID number.

The error is thrown because an ID is assigned that already exists, which causes a validation error if you have "Unique" validation selected.

My error was caused when I imported data which contained higher ID's than the field was defined to assign as the next ID.

The problem is that the error text does not directly convey that it is the validation check which fails. In my case it was the "Unique" validation that failed.
                 The error text misdirects your attention, by stating that the field requires a value (making you think the ID is empty, when it is not) and that the field is not available on the layout (which in this case is irrelevant as the ID field is autogenerated).

What the error SHOULD say is: "The portal field "xxx::yyy_ID" failed validation as it is not Unique."
                 That would direct your attention to the actual error.