9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2014 9:21 AM by disabled_ntaylor

. . .no longer responding; connection closed. (51)

FilmUser

Title

. . .no longer responding; connection closed. (51)

Your post

Windows 7, FMP 12.0v1 and Server 12.0.4.405

I administer a data base for a large company, that is used by only one department, with 25 accounts, but usually only 8 - 12 connected at one time on average. The server is physically located in another part of the city, or possibly further away, if that matters. Most users are connected by hard wire to the network.

The title of this post (preceded by user ID info) is part of the error description in the console of something that happens to most all of us during the day, multiple times for some of us, with different privileges, including me. Sometimes the dialogue announcing our disconnection occurs after a period of work, some or all of which is lost (particularly annoying if I'm modifying a layout, and after 15 min of work, I get the message upon returning to Browse mode.)

We upgraded from FMP 5 and Server 5 last year, and frankly, version 5 was more stable regarding the server connection, it just crashed more often, especially when executing activity involving relational data.

I have spoken with the IT folks a number of times and they can't seem to find a problem, but hint at the possibility that the fault lies with FMP or Server. I pointed out to them that we are running relatively un-updated versions of both and that these updates are free, but they don't seem inclined to update. One tech has researched on the FMP site what the updaters are for and concludes that none of them will fix the problem, based on what FMP says the updaters are for.(??)

Question 1 - One thing I have done to encourage daily re-logging into the data base, is to set, in the Database Server section of configuration, Clients tab, a max idle time of 8:00 Hours, to force re-logging in every morning. I notice, though, that 1 or 2 of the clients consistently show being logged in from the day (or 2) before. How can this happen?

Question 2 - any suggestions as to the disconnection problem?

• 1. Re: . . .no longer responding; connection closed. (51)
          jlamprecht

Hi there,

Have you checked under the Database Server -> FileMaker Clients to see if the following "Set maximum idle time allowed for FileMaker clients (minutes)" is checked? This could be the issue.

• 2. Re: . . .no longer responding; connection closed. (51)
            FilmUser

It is checked and set for 8 hours, so that they never get disconnected during the workday, but overnight they get disconnected.

When you say this could be the issue, do you mean for my question 1, or question 2?

I guess it seems like a contradiction, but I want them to be disconnected during the night, but not during the workday.

• 3. Re: . . .no longer responding; connection closed. (51)
              jlamprecht
              I was wondering if the setting was set up for 8 hours or accidentally lower, but it seems you verified this. I would really update your software to verify that the issue still occurs afterwards, despite what the tech said. This will also correct any other issues with the older version you have. I would also investigate your network connection to make sure you are not losing connection while accessing your hosted file.
              • 4. Re: . . .no longer responding; connection closed. (51)
                FilmUser

Thanks for your response, Johnaustin, I will push again for the updates.

What do you think about the fact that, despite the 8 hour max idle time, some folks (usually the same ones, and one in particular) are still logged in every morning, according to the client log?

• 5. Re: . . .no longer responding; connection closed. (51)
                  FilmUser: 

Thank you for the post.

"I notice, though, that 1 or 2 of the clients consistently show being logged in from the day (or 2) before. How can this happen?"

Are these clients perhaps using a "Full Access" privilege set?

"In the Full Access privilege set, the Disconnect user from server when idle option is disabled and cannot be enabled. Therefore users with Full Access privileges remain connected to FileMaker Server when idle."

More information can be found here:

While I cannot promise updating will resolve the disconnect issues, the official recommendation would still be to fully update the software as each new update includes both stability and bug fixes. 

Are all the clients who are not using Full Access accounts being simultaneously disconnected? 

If that is the case, this usually indicates a network issue and not a FileMaker Server issue; however as a test install the FileMaker Pro 13 trial onto the server and connect to the database(s), using one of the managed accounts.

If this Ad Hoc connection remains connected and the other FileMaker Pro clients are disconnected during the next round of disconnects, then we have narrowed the issue to the network environment and FileMaker Server is not kicking the clients. 

Please let me know if any of the above requires additional clarification. 

TSFalcon
                  FileMaker, Inc.
                  • 6. Re: . . .no longer responding; connection closed. (51)
                    FilmUser

Re: the max idle time -

"Are these clients perhaps using a "Full Access" privilege set?"

No, in fact their access is limited to certain tables, layouts, and cannot delete records, etc.

"Are all the clients who are not using Full Access accounts being simultaneously disconnected?"

No, and I can't see a pattern. Although, I have Full Access privileges and I am disconnected daily, it's not idle time for me.

Also, at the FMP account level, none of the privilege sets has the check box for idle time disconnect checked.

**A question here - you imply but don't say: I would use the FMPro privilege set to determine whether someone can be disconnected and the FM Server> Filemaker Clients tab to set the time, which applies only to users for whom the check box is checked in their privilege set?

And

"If that is the case, this usually indicates a network issue and not a FileMaker Server issue; however as a test install the FileMaker Pro 13 trial onto the server and connect to the database(s), using one of the managed accounts."

**Do you mean installing FM Pro on the server, or FM Server on the server and FMPro on one computer?

And, since you are a FM person - one last question:

**As stated, I'm having trouble getting the IT group to run updates (it's a large network and I'm sensing that it is a lot of work - I think each one would have to be vetted), and I believe we have a support membership for server and FMP, entitling us to v13 for both. I'm thinking that I would like to recommend upgrading to 13, but only after FM is likely finished doing updaters. Then we won't be stuck with the original release version of 13 till 14 comes out. Does this make sense?

Several questions here, thanks for you help.

• 7. Re: . . .no longer responding; connection closed. (51)
                      FilmUser: 

Thank you for the reply.

"**A question here - you imply but don't say: I would use the FMPro privilege set to determine whether someone can be disconnected and the FM Server> Filemaker Clients tab to set the time, which applies only to users for whom the check box is checked in their privilege set?"

Correct. Any account with a privilege set with the checkbox for "Disconnect user from server when idle" should be disconnected if idle time exceeds the timeout specified via the FileMaker Server. 

"**Do you mean installing FM Pro on the server, or FM Server on the server and FMPro on one computer?"

The suggestion is to install the FileMaker Pro client on the same computer as the FileMaker Server and connect using one of the accounts that is being prematurely disconnected. This places the client inside the firewall and the connection is local to the FileMaker Server. If the client does not disconnect until the proper timeout but other clients external to the FileMaker Server are disconnected, then we have eliminated the FileMaker Server as the source of the disconnects. 

As to the final question, FileMaker Server 12.0v5 is a small update for Java version compatibility to add "the permissions attribute consistent with Oracle’s security recommendations." The update is recommended but should not alter anything related to disconnects. 

Upgrading to FileMaker Server 13 is certainly an option; however, I don't have any information on unreleased products or updates. 

TSFalcon
                      FileMaker, Inc.
                      • 8. Re: . . .no longer responding; connection closed. (51)
                        FilmUser

Thank you for your answer, TSFalcon -

The installation of FMP on the server is a good idea, but the server is 300 miles away in another state, which makes me think that it may have something to do with the breaks, although no one loses any other program during the day. It has to do with the fact that the file is hosted, as opposed to excel sheets and the like that are on each computer itself, doesn't it?

• 9. Re: . . .no longer responding; connection closed. (51)
                          FilmUser: 

Thank you for the reply and I apologize for the delay.

Were you able to install a client local to the FileMaker Server and did the client disconnect?

If the local FileMaker Pro connection remained connect and others were disconnected, then the issue is likely with the network infrastructure (i.e. cables, Wifi, router, modem, firewalls, etc.) and something besides FileMaker Server is responsible for disconnecting the clients. 

TSFalcon
                          FileMaker, Inc.