1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 27, 2013 6:10 AM by JonJ

2 FMSA12 exporting and importing data

JesusNoSensgi

Title

2 FMSA12 exporting and importing data

Your post

Hi all.

Main Problem: how to import a .fmp12 from a remote location.

We have our main server like this: One Windows Server 2008R2 with File Maker Server Advanced 12. This server is protected and only can be accessed throw the company LAN.

Now we need to have users to update some records throw IWA, but these users would be outside the company's network. That’s our problem, because the secure politics of the company won't allow us to connect to the server from outside unless is "controlled".

So, we are going to rent a server with the same set up, and perform this process:

-We need to export the records that would be updated, Import this file on the new server, by the end of the day export the records, and then import to the main server updating the changes.

BUT I don't know how to import the file from a remote location, I mean how do I tell in the script to import from the company server, which is fiscally away from the new server. Can I give some route like filewin:/"IPaddress"/c:/"path-to-file.fmp12".

I understand this scenario must imply the connectivity between servers (VPN I guess).

Any Help?

PD: I think use Dropbox would be the easiest way, but again the security politics may be a problem, so before say anything I want to know if at least is possible.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: 2 FMSA12 exporting and importing data
          JonJ

Hi,

This seems to be a sledgehammer to crack a nut. If you are going to the trouble of establishing a VPN, you are effectively part of the company intranet, and so could simple access the database directly via a filemaker client. This could be a simple solution. :)

That said, IWP can be hosted with TLS (aka SSL, port 443), simply by purchasing a certificate for your FM server. Access to data could be further restricted by limiting incoming connection to a few pre-determined remote IPs (this could be done via the company router).

The company can also limit IWP hosting to a special 'firewalled' database that syncs back to the main database, so that hackers can only get to a limited amount of data, even if the security is compromised. For example, it could be arranged only to load up the records/data it needs as it needs it, and limit the number for records it's allow to sync in any one session.

As a sideline, you can add some PHP to a custom IWP log-on page, which will log the user's IP address, etc. (by no means fool-proof, as these data can be spoofed, but it will put off all but the most determined hacker) 

This makes it as secure as other common web front-ends, such as Outlook Web Access (OWA).

I would go back to the company and see what sort of worries they have, what level of security is realistic, and make comparisons with how they secure their other business-critical services, such as e-mail and documents storage.

Hope this helps,

Jon.