1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2009 11:19 AM by Pstone

2nd client no longer automatically shows new data when input from another client

Pstone

Title

2nd client no longer automatically shows new data when input from another client

Your post

I don't own a "Server" so I can't really check this out where I am but wanted to see if this rings a bell with anyone.

My client is running 5.5 Server and has a phone log that a secretary opens on one machine and the boss on another machine. The boss just leaves his FMP 6 client open to the phonelog screen and the secretary enters new data on that screen. Data is shown with the body the line of new data so when viewed, sorted records simply stack on top of each other - nothing big there...

On the old FM 5.5 server using FMP6 to access, when the secretary enters a new call in and clicked off the row of new data that was entered, the boss's screen automatically updated HIS screen with the new call data. His screen dynamically updates to new data.

Well on the FMP9 server, that no longer works and using two FMP6 clients with NO server accessing the same datafile also DOES NOT WORK pointing this to a server setting yet I can't see anything in the 5.5 or 9 documenation to elude to this.

Maybe someone out there knows this scenario already and if there's a way to get the FM9 Server or clients to return to this behavior.

Thanks!

Peter

• 1. Re: 2nd client no longer automatically shows new data when input from another client
          TSGal

Pstone:

Thank you for your post.

The second client should show new data when input from another client, unless that client is in Edit mode.

I am unable to test out your two FileMaker Pro 6 clients, since the earliest versions I have on my machines are version 8.5.

I have tested this thoroughly with FileMaker Server 9 (on both Mac and Windows using FileMaker 8.5, 9 and 10 clients), and I cannot duplicate the problem.  In all cases, the data is updated on the other client machines.

With FileMaker Server 9, you need a minimum of FileMaker Pro 7 to access the database files.

TSGal

FiileMaker, INc. 

• 2. Re: 2nd client no longer automatically shows new data when input from another client
            Pstone

Hmmm.. this conflicts with my other thread - http://forum-en.filemaker.com/fm/board/message?board.id=FM-en-4&message.id=11045#M11045

but I'm confused about "Edit Mode" - I got browse, layout, preview and find... Never heard of this mode - the 2nd client that's not getting updated just sits there, not editing anything....

If you check the other thread, you'll see more - Basically converted 6 file to 9 with no problems cept they're claiming this 'automatic updating of new data on the 2nd machine that just sits there watching the screen of "Today's calls" doesn't update automatically anymore...

It's the "Anymore" that has me scratching my head :)

• 3. Re: 2nd client no longer automatically shows new data when input from another client
              philmodjunk

Hmmm.. this conflicts with my other thread

I don't think so. I believe TSGal is assuming that the user is updating a record that is visible on both client machine.

As discussed in the other thread, what they are actually complaining about is that new records created on one client don't automatically appear on the other client's screen.

• 4. Re: 2nd client no longer automatically shows new data when input from another client
                Pstone

TSGAL> The second client should show new data when input from another client, unless that client is in Edit mode.

This seems to contradict - The second client is not seeing new data when input from another client.

The "Edit Mode" is confusing - There is no such mode that I know of other then "Browse" which allows you to edit shown fields?

Both clients are on the same screen in Browse mode so both can access (the boss has to change the status when he's done).

• 5. Re: 2nd client no longer automatically shows new data when input from another client
                  philmodjunk

I understand the confusion. I believe, that by "edit mode" she means that a user has entered one or more fields to modify information but hasn't yet done anything to commit the record such as by clicking on the layout background or entering the field of a different record. That should match the info from the other thread, just different jargon in use.

• 6. Re: 2nd client no longer automatically shows new data when input from another client
                    TSGal

Pstone:

Sorry for the incorrect language.  The explanation by PhilModJunk is correct (Thank you!)

While in Browse Mode, you can have your cursor in a field, which means you are currently editing the record.  If you click outside the field, you are no longer editing that record.  For example, if I'm in Browse Mode, and my cursor is not in any field, if another user changes the contents of a field and commits the record, that updated information will then show on all guest machines.  If your cursor is in a field, and another user is editing that field, you won't be able to make changes, and you won't be able to see the updated information until the guest commits the record by either clicking outside the field or moving to another record.

Let's get more specific....

I created a file, TSGal.fp7, with two fields:

Name (Text)

Text (Text)

I entered two records:

NAME - TEXT

TSGal - <blank>

TSGal123 - <blank>

I put "TSGal.fp7" on a Windows 2003 Server box running FileMaker Server 10.  I opened this file on two different machines.  One client is running Mac OS X 10.5.6, and the other client is running Windows XP.

On the Mac, I put my cursor into the Name field of the first record.  On the Windows machine, I also placed my cursor into the Name field of the first record.  I changed the value to:

TSGalABC.  On the Mac, it still shows the old value of TSGal.  On the Windows machine, I tabbed to the "Text" field.  Still, the Mac showed the old value of TSGal.  On the Windows machine, I clicked outside the two fields and the record is committed.  On the Mac, with my cursor still in the Name field, the value now updated to TSGalABC.

Please let me know if this is not happening to you.  If you can duplicate the problem, let me know what hardware and software setup you have, and I will try to duplicate it here.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 7. Re: 2nd client no longer automatically shows new data when input from another client
                      Pstone

This behavior is correct and working when you are looking at the same single record - it's when you say, click off the mac and click off the windows machine. Have your view setup in LIST mode - not form mode and the body list things one line at a time (see my other msg for formt). Now with both things clicked off, and this is what my client is claiming, hit ^N (New Record) for say the windows machine - the mac will show nothing - that's fine - enter in whatever in the two fields on the windows machine and commit by clicking the background.

Now my clients say the MAC will immediately show a new line as record #2 (if there was only 1 record) - It's as if the Mac gets pushed a command to update based on the fact that a new record has arrived.

Now the file has a script when you open it that simple sorts by today's date and exits so as to put the person who opens it on "TODAY" - and it's sorted against a date field. This is to me indicating that there is a search/sort parameter setup to accomplish this IF there was some sort of refresh mechanism in place BUT there isn't LOCALLY. Meaning, I can take the 2 files on 2 machines and not accomplish this behavior. My client says it DOES accomplish this behavior but they're going off a FMP5.5 server instead of 2 clients just accessing a single file without a server (which is the only thing I can do to test here).

So it brings me back to wondering: 

A: They're lying (lol) - or mistaken

B: The SERVER is pushing the command somehow

C: third party external macro just spamming a refresh into FMPro

I'm 100 miles away and will go in if necessary but I was just hoping there was some sort of hidden server function that would cause this behavior cause when i converted the file to FM9, the FM9 server and their new FM9 clients no longer are doing this dynamic updating anymore....

Hope that made sense and thanks for looking at this. 

Peter

• 8. Re: 2nd client no longer automatically shows new data when input from another client
                        TSGal

Pstone:

I had my database set up in Form mode and Table mode.  I just tried it with List view with the same results.  When a record is committed, the other machines are updated.

Unfortunately, I do not have access to an old copy of FileMaker Server (prior to version 8.5), so it may behave differently.

With FileMaker Server 9 (Mac) and FileMaker Server 10 (Windows) with two clients (Windows and Mac), if I add a record on the Windows client, the record counter on the Mac client will NOT be updated until that record is committed on the Windows machine.  The same holds true for the Mac.  If I add a record to the Mac, the record counter on Windows will not update until the record is committed on the Mac.  If I have one record, and I add a record to both the Mac and Windows machine, the record counter is 2.  When one of the machines commits the record, then the other machines will show 3 records.

I will find your other post and comment there, too.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 9. Re: 2nd client no longer automatically shows new data when input from another client
                          Pstone
                             Hmmm... this is odd then - Cause two fmp6's on windows open to the same screen and I can add 100 new records on one machine and the other won't update until I refresh the search... ugh...  Maybe I'll post a video of what's going on later tomorrow.
                          • 10. Re: 2nd client no longer automatically shows new data when input from another client
                            philmodjunk

Hey guys, I see the missed point here.

If you change an existing record that has already been pulled up on both machines, you see the change. That's what TSgal is describing.

If you create a completely new record, it will not, cannot show on another machines screen until that machine does something to add it to the current found set. That's the situation PStone's clients claim used to happen but now is not happening. Since this is an impossibility, there must be either something else happening, or there's miscommunication on the part of the client.

• 11. Re: 2nd client no longer automatically shows new data when input from another client
                              Pstone

Thanks Phil - That's exactly what's going on.

The reason I was asking on here about it (sorry for the double post) was that I was wondering if this was a SERVER option as if you're running a server, it's theorhetically possible to PUSH a refresh command if new data comes into a server as this is what it seems is happening in my client's environment:

FM6 Client #1 ----> 5.5 Server <---- FM6 Client #2

However the local techs can't find any option that eludes to that on a 5.5 server and when I just try:

FM6 Client #1 ----><---- FM6 Client #2

New records don't show up but yes, changed existing records do change automatically - and yes, one needs to refind the found set for this to happen but again, the client claims it is happening on their old setup and when it went to FM9 Client #1--->FM9 Server<---FM9 Client #2 it stopped working.

Ooooo... I sense a trip into Los Angeles is in order for me. :)

• 12. Re: 2nd client no longer automatically shows new data when input from another client
                                mgmcmcgee
                                   As the client that my be mistakin, I will say that this does work on the 9 server with new logs just not the converted ones. Hope this helps.
                                • 13. Re: 2nd client no longer automatically shows new data when input from another client
                                  philmodjunk

mgmcmcgee wrote:
                                  As the client that my be mistakin, I will say that this does work on the 9 server with new logs just not the converted ones. Hope this helps.

What's different between the two logs?

I know of no way that one client will automatically see new records created by a different client unless some kind of update script is periodically updating the found set. I have seen scripts fail to execute correctly after file conversion, so it could be that the converted file has a problem that is keeping an update script from executing correctly. This would explain the observed behavior, but you keep insisting that there isn't any script involved.

That just seems impossible to me.

• 14. Re: 2nd client no longer automatically shows new data when input from another client
                                    mgmcmcgee

One file is new the other is converted.

I am no filemaker guru but all I can say is I have been testing it all day and it works with a new file. I can also say that when I checked the server for scheduled events and also checked the even logs there was no metion of any script therefore I would have to say that there is no script running. If there is an other place I can go to check please let me know and I will let you know what I find.

1 2 Previous Next