3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2013 9:39 AM by disabled_ntaylor

access database hosted on filemaker server 12 advanced from a remote location using filemaker pro 12

xyrejeddiah

Title

access database hosted on filemaker server 12 advanced from a remote location using filemaker pro 12

Your post

Good day!

i have created a database and hosted it on filemaker server 12 advaced installed on windows 7 ultimate computer.Now my client wanted that they can access the database from any remote location using the filemaker pro or filemaker pro advanced 12. I already share the database on LAN so they were asking if it is posible to access it outside the LAN using the filemaker pro. IWP is not an option because they wanted to take advantage of the scripts/commands that are compatible with filemaker pro. 

Thanks and more power.

• 1. Re: access database hosted on filemaker server 12 advanced from a remote location using filemaker pro 12

dave john sastre:

Thank you for the post. 

If the current setup allows for connection on the LAN, then to allow outside network access, next step would be to configure port forwarding for port 5003. Here are some additional knowledge base articles you may find useful:

Port forwarding information

Cannot see or connect to a FileMaker hosted file on a remote network.

Why can't I see or connect to a to a FileMaker hosted file on a remote network?

FileMaker Server and FileMaker Server Advanced port numbers

What are the port numbers used by FileMaker Server and FileMaker Server Advanced?

"FileMaker uses port 5003 to share files over the network. Therefore, to connect to files hosted on a remote network you will need to “forward” port 5003 from your router to the host computer."

TSFalcon
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: access database hosted on filemaker server 12 advanced from a remote location using filemaker pro 12
            xyrejeddiah

TSFalcon

Thanks for your post. But before I was able to read your post I found some articles regarding the matter. I tested it but no luck. Well these are the steps that I tried; hoping you can tell me if something is wrong with my configuration.

·         I access my router’s (TPLink 340G) admin page and forward port 5003 to the PC where FMS is installed and enable both TCP & UDP.

Port        5003

IP address       192.168.0.XXX (IP of the host machine)

Protocol       All

Status       Enable

Common Service Port:   none

·         Note: host machine has a static IP address that i assigned using IP & MAC binding in router’s setting

·         After that I tried to access the file from a different unit with in the same LAN by adding the host machine IP address by using Open Remote >Favorite Host >Host internet address,  and it’s working just fine I’ve also tried to add the router’s IP address and everything is working.

·         Now when a try to access the file from a different location let say Host machine is in the office and I tried to access the file from home/house it says “NO FILES” I’ve tested it several times both the router and host IP address and nothing works.

Is there’s something wrong with my configuration? Please help. And if it’s not so much to ask can you give a step by step procedure how to do it in windows environment.

• 3. Re: access database hosted on filemaker server 12 advanced from a remote location using filemaker pro 12

dave john sastre:

Thank you for the reply and I apologize for the delay.

Port 5003 will need to be open on your local client machine as well. Configuring FileMaker's Network Sharing feature is a free Standard Support topic through FileMaker's technical support, so please don't hesitate to call. 

If you are located in the U.S. or Canada, then contact technical support toll free at 1-800-325-2747. The hours are between 7 AM - 5 PM PDT. 

If you are located outside of North America, then locate the technical support office nearest you from the following link:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/intl/

However, if you could provide the operating system being used by the client computer, I can assist you as well. My first questions besides the operating system does Windows Telnet feature or Apple's Port Scan return port 5003 as open from the client to the server's IP address?

Is the client a Windows computer or a Mac computer? In either case, is the operating system's firewall turned ON?

TSFalcon
                   FileMaker, Inc.