4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2013 11:37 AM by ReidCamp

Access Server databases while offline on Go?

ReidCamp

Title

Access Server databases while offline on Go?

Your post

Hello,

Is it possible to simply Sync to a database on Filemaker Server? We want our clients to be able to download and upload a database, then go use the database in remote locations.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Access Server databases while offline on Go?
          philmodjunk

It's possible, but the structure of your database and the needs of your users could make this a simple or a very complex issue to deal with. The really sticky issue that can happen is if two users take separate copies of the same record and edit that record in different ways. "Synching" such data so as not to lose the changes made by either user can get pretty complicated.

Both 360Workds and SeedCode offer Synchronization tools for FileMaker that you may want to investigate.

• 2. Re: Access Server databases while offline on Go?
            ReidCamp

Thanks for your help.

The ideal situation would be for us to send a blank copy of our database to a user. When they sync to our master database, all data is added to our DB. Do you know if that is possible?

• 3. Re: Access Server databases while offline on Go?
              philmodjunk

That's a simpler scenario. You can set up a File on the FMGO device that has External Data Source links to the file on the server. Import Records, executed via script on the FMGO file can then import the records into the server's tables once the user returns to a location where they can wirelessly connect to the copy of your Database that is being hosted from your server computer. (FileMaker Pro can host up to 9 clients or Filemaker Server can host many more.)

Note: I don't have FMGO or an iOS device so my answer is based on "theory" not "practice". If you haven't already done so, you may want to ask this question in the FM GO forum to get input from people actually using FM GO.

• 4. Re: Access Server databases while offline on Go?
                ReidCamp

Thanks a ton, I'll try there.